My Role as an Intern

Photo by Karolina Grabowska

The overall goal of the project I’m a part of is to create informational videos about all Bachelor degrees offered at City Tech for prospective students looking to apply. The videos cover information on each individual field and on what is required for admission to each degree.

My job as an RF Technician is to work on two video projects about the Computer Systems Technology program. Every technician is assigned a different degree. I have to do research on the program and record it on an outline on Google Docs, making sure the text is well written and the sentences are clear to understand. My supervisor can edit the document and leave me notes on what to revise. After the research is approved and edited after feedback, i have to transfer the information from the written outline to an After Effects document. 

I don’t have to create the video from scratch. Since all videos in this project follow the same layout, I’m provided with previous work to change and edit. (This project had started previous semesters ago, with the AAS degrees at City Tech as the main focus.) I change the text, the images, icons, colors and slide lengths in the already existing composition. I record a scratch track, a placeholder voice-over of the script to combine with the visuals, to help guide me in properly timing the slides. After finishing the visuals of the project, i have to bring it into Premiere Pro to work on the audio aspect. Here i add the final voiceover, provided to me by another employee on the team, and any necessary music and sound effects. 

The editing process is not linear. For each new file version I make and send to my supervisor, he may send me back in to make more changes. I also need to reflect those changes in the Google Doc if any sentences were re-worded, so that the information can stay consistent throughout.

As a remote intern I’ve had to log my work hours into a time-sheet and submit them to my supervisor for approval. I think that is something worth mentioning since I have never needed to do that for a job before, and I’ve learned that it is something important to stay on top of, especially if you want to be properly compensated for your work.