Ethics in Design 1A & 1B

Starting my first internship with the Research Foundation of CUNY has been an enjoyable process. There has been clear communication since the beginning. I always feel like I am on the same page as my supervisor. I’m grateful to be working under a professional who respects the project, the clients and the employees. I did not see a creative brief for the work I am doing, but upon getting this job, I did receive a descriptive email and had an in-person conversation with my supervisor about what the objectives were going to be, what my workload would look like, and a small summary of the project timeline,  so that I could be aware of what to expect for each new week that comes along.

Photo by Oleksandr Pidvalnyi

1A) For my internship I will be doing research and editing videos. I am required to gather up stock photography to use for the video projects that I am working on about the bachelor’s degree program in Computer Science Technology. My supervisor let me know that the foundation has a budget to include licensed photographs from iStock. So eventually I will need to pick some imagery from that stock image site and get client approval. I need to pick imagery that has not already been used in previous RFCuny degree program projects. The photographs will all involve people, so the client specifically asked that we include images that portray individuals from different races and ethnicities, as well as an emphasis on females (since males are predominant in the field of computer science) in order to promote diversity and inclusion. They mentioned the possibility of using student images taken from the computer science department at City Tech. My supervisor would need approval before sending another employee to go take those photographs and move forward. I will also use icons from the Noun Project, which have usable assets under creative common licenses. 

I understand that the use of stock photography for these projects helps in making the process easier. The budget as well as the nature of the project doesn’t necessarily  call for the hiring of a photographer. The imagery aids in visualization, but the most important aspect of these videos is the information being communicated to the public.

1B) So far I have not needed to sign a non-disclosure agreement for this internship. That probably gives me more leeway to talk about what my internship is about for my journal entries. Despite that, I will do my best to be professional and discerning about what I share and what I do not.

Sources

• “Use of Photography” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA.
  • “A Client’s Guide to Design: How to Get the Most Out of the Process” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA.
  • “Guide to Copyright” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA.