Reflection: Annotated Bibliography

Jevon Williams

ENG 1101

Reflection

1. My chosen genre was indie films. I selected six articles that describes the experience of distribution and marketing in the indie film industry. The authors attitude in the articles is considered astonishment and concerned. This harmless attitude further illustrates the problem with businesses in the film industry. Its important to the authors that they set an example of a working filmmaker. As much as producing is hard, it’s also incredibly rewarding. The society has refuted the fact that there is a wealth of amazing talent out there. From what the authors explains in the articles – Today’s new media giants are embracing the independent film but as a marketing concept only; every day they bring more and more of the production, distribution and exhibition apparatus under their control. Throughout the articles, distributors are pictured like saints, harmless to none but film makers. Whatever your budget is as a film maker, double it.
  2. I learned that any short film that is promoted as being done “on a budget of $0” is lying and being a producer is hard. It can take years for an indie film to be completed. Everything costs money and finding those finances can be tricky and time-consuming. For any product that we use in this life, it has to go through a number of processes namely extraction, where raw materials are harvested from mother nature, then production, where the raw materials are converted into a form that will satisfy a particular human need, to distribution, where the finished product is taken to where it is needed, consumption, where the person with the need utilizes the product to satisfy his need and finally to disposal, where the remains of the consumed product is done away with. No amount of money can buy you a good finished product. It always takes sweat equity. I can either a be a producer or a consumer, though I could be both in the sense that I could be producing and consuming the same product or producing one product and using it while buying other products that I am not producing so as to cater for my varying needs. A feature film should never be made unless you love your concept so much, that you are willing to live with it for the next few years.
  3. Is there a new trend in film you can add to the filming or story?
    Will shooting the whole film on a smartphone help draw an audience or financial backer?
  4. I feel that I need to constantly reflect and remind myself about concerning opinions and information. I like to think of myself as an analytic when it comes to dissecting a text or essay. I’m really good at identifying main points, details, and concrete evidence in readings. I am confident in these areas of my progress, but im not very good at constructive criticism and giving opinion-based analysis. For example, whenever I need to tell how the author does something I usually just give a summary of what he talks about.