My Personal Experience

I personal experience that affected me is the challenge of starting a new school especially when I came from a different country. For me it was like I was an alien arriving on a new planet.

I arrived to this new world in the summer and it was wonderful.I went to many places with my family and it was a fun adventure. Coming up to my last couple of weeks of summer, it crossed my mind school is on its way. Than I realized the quote “time flies when you’re having fun” was true and school came around.I instantly became nervous.I was worried I would not fit in or be looked at differently.

On the first day of school, my mom walked me there and when I was walking it was like I was having a nervous breakdown. There were butterflies in my stomach and I could not stop talking about things like “what if I don’t fit in”, “ what if I make no friends” or even be alone. However when I got there it was completely different everyone was nice except for two girl that made fun of my accent.Which really didn’t make me feel that bad since that’s how I met my first friend.He stood up for me when they made fun of my accent and showed me around

When I just thought I got over the hard part, class started.It was not what I expected.All my classes were insanely hard for me and it was completely different from my school in Guyana.I especially struggled in math.When I got home I was so embarrassed to ask my family for help.Since that day my family sat down with me every day and helped me with my homework.when I gave up and didn’t want to do it they would motivate me.Even when I didn’t have homework they would find me some kind of worksheets or call my teacher and tell them what I needed to work on.Math was my weakness. Since my family knew this they sign me up for after school tutoring which I hated. However it helped, after a long month of blood and sweat, my grades improved.I did need help from my family and now math is one of my favorite subjects. 

The experience of the first time starting a new school taught a  lot of lessons and was a good experience.I learned that not everything new and different is bad.It also taught me that if I put my mind to something I can do anything. I turned my weakness of math into my strength.