How I got my internship

The name of my supervisor is Allison she’s one of the managers of the company. I got this job through a family friend, there was a dinner party for my mother’s friend and we all went and my mom was talking to this woman and she asked how I was doing and my mom told her she’s studying graphic design. The lady told her that she was a manager at a design company and if I ever wanted an internship I can come for an interview. I called her for an interview last year around March and she told me to come on a Wednesday after school for my interview and to bring some print outs of my work.

That day I had a packaging design project due for my vector art editing class and so I had my project with me when I went but I didn’t even know that they did packaging design. When I went for my interview there were three designers who were asking me questions about my work and they saw something hanging from the bag I was carrying my project in and they asked what’s in the bag.

I showed them my project and they loved it and told me that’s what they do here and told me I was hired on the spot and that the manager will call me and let me know when to come in. Some of the questions they asked me were where am I studying, which programs do I use, and when they looked at my packaging project they asked me what materials I used for it and how I came up with the idea for it.

She reached out a week later and told me that they don’t need anyone right now but if I could come when she calls me like around the times it gets busy. Over the summer she called me like 6 times to come in and I would just help out with whatever they needed. Then around Christmas time she asked if I could come twice a week which is what I’ve been doing since then.

Part of my job working there is basically a little bit of everything except designing the actual products. There’s 2 head designers that do that but they ask my opinion which they seem to value because they change somethings around after they ask me. Mostly my job is to create the posting artwork for the factories and to send them out to them and make sure that they reach out to our staff who deals with the pricing and production. Another job of mine is to create the mockup files so that we can build them properly I have to make sure that everything is perfectly measured and that the pattern that the designers created are not stretched and are placed exactly the right size. I also create the packaging based on the guidelines of the production if it should get a sticker or and OPP bag with a header or a tag… and sometimes I just help with Mockups building the items and putting glitter etc.