Searching for & Obtaining an Internship

JaniecaCastro_JournalEntry_EnglishTranslation

JaniecaCastro_JournalEntry_SpanishTranslation

English text reader

Software produced Audio and Translation

Searching for an internship has been an interesting ride.

The first step for me was sitting down and evaluating my schedule, what needs would fulfill my interests, and what kind of work I wanted to do during my internship. Luckily City Tech and the COMD department have a lot of resources to help students obtain internships and make the process smoother.

Using resources provided: Using COMD Communication Design Internship Coordination Site I viewed available internships. The internship posts gave information such as the Company/organization name, the semester and year of the internship, a brief description, requirements for applicants, submission deadlines, links to applications, and even brief notes about previous student intern comments.

The requirements for the internships varied. Some posted lists of software skills they were looking for. I think some people can get intimidated by the requirements thinking they won’t be able to fulfill the role. but I think if you have at least 3 skills on the list you should apply. There’s a chance you are what they are looking for and are willing to teach and guide you in the places you are not comfortable in. Most of the time they will need multiple interns whose skills vary to help divide the work. Other requirements mentioned in a lot of posts are job responsibilities and time requirements. The main post’s content had in common was the need for a resume and Eportfolio, whether a live website or PDF, a few requested Cover Letters, and some Professor references. At moments it seemed overwhelming but with the support of my internship professor, I got through the ordeal.

Applying and waiting: After applying to the internships you wait for your email confirmation that they received your application/ email and hope to hear back for an interview. As I waited to hear back from an organization I continued to refine my resume and practiced my interview skills with friends and family hoping to land an interview that aligns with my goals for the semester.

Interviewing/ accepting/ rejecting: I was very blessed to be interviewed and accepted by multiple internships, which put me in a state of panic. Questions arise internally. Which one is best for me? Which will align with my schedule? Which one will be projects that align with my skills and with the skills I hope to develop? All these questions seemed to have different answers for each option. In the end it all boiled down to how I felt about the role offered which seemed to excite me more when hearing about job duties and work environment.

After reviewing your options you can accept or deny a position before making commitments. Once a position is accepted, expect your internship supervisor to schedule an onboarding meeting. Prepare yourself for this, it will be a good time to ask any questions or voice any concerns that may arise.

Searching for an internship is a fairly easy process that anyone can do, just be sure to make clear decisions, be intuitive with yourself, and be truthful about your needs and capabilities. With persistence, anyone can be able to obtain an internship and be able to gain knowledge with field experience.