Dimple’s Inspiration

I look myself up to Jonathan Blow, an independent game designer and programmer. I have always wanted to be a computer programmer, whether it is for mobile applications, gaming, or even web applications. Ever since I owned a PS3, the more intrigued I was into game programming. I would love to focus on implementing a game’s logic, mechanic, and strategy of the gameplay.

Jonathan Blow studied computer science at the University of California, Berkeley and his first job was in porting copies of Doom and Doom 2 onto a set-top box. At the age of 24, he  teamed up with a friend from college, Bernt Habermeier, and together founded a company called Bolt-Action Software which made an online team-based strategy game called Wulfram. He worked there for 4 years and at that stage of his career, he was mostly interested in the programming challenges that his technical role afforded. Blow then went on becoming a consultant on a number of games and wrote a column in Game Developer Magazine on coding called the Inner Product. He also started running the Experimental Gameplay Workshops at GDC.

Jonathan Blow went from well-known within the development community to a rising star of the new indie movement when his Xbox Live Arcade, PC, and PlayStation network title Braid became one of the biggest successes of the download space. The game was released on August 2008. He is currently working on his forthcoming project called The Witness. Here is a more detailed interview with Blow regarding The Witness. The game is said to release this year.

Recently, Blow helped found Indiefund, a funding source for independent developers that aims to encourage the next wave of developers. Looking at his work and dedication to the gaming industry, he has motivated me to get involved and achieve my desirable dream.