Nobuo Uematsu – Composer

Nobuo Uematsu

All games have many elements that sets them apart from each other. I believe the number one element that can make any consumer become attached to a game is the music. Some people, if not most, says that their reason that a certain video game is their favorite is because of the soundtrack. Composers like Nobuo Uematsu made this possible. Let us enter into the life of the above composer.

Uematsu was born in March 21, 1959 in Kochi, Japan. Elton John was his inspiration for his interest in music so at age 12, he taught himself to play the piano. In 1986, he joined Square Co., Ltd which is now Square-Enix. His role was composing music for video games and that perfect example is Final Fantasy. He worked with Hironobu Sakaguchi, the game’s creator, to make Final Fantasy a huge success. In 2004, he left the company to start his own called Smile Please, Ltd while still composing video game music plus organizing live performances of his work. The band he leads were called The Black Mages.

Uematsu is one of the reasons why I love video games in the first place. The music is the first thing that attracted me to his work. Hopefully one day, I can become a great composer like him while at the same time, become a great video game developer.