Ethics Entry 1

Reading the AIGA guide to ethical guidelines has given me a lot of information on the practice of sourcing images and illustrations. As a designer it has informed me on how to work with outside sources and when to credit that source. In most of my classes especially freshman year there were many instances where I had to use images for projects and I had pulled these images from google. It wasn’t until I was told about the use of images in Communication Design Two class where I started using images from free stock photography websites and creating my own illustrations so my work is my own and not borrowed from someone else. Reading the AGIA guide reminded me of that and it reminded me how important it is for me to cite my sources. 

At my internship my supervisor Isana provides me with a folder of images, text, and brand guidelines. This folder helps me in making sure that all the images and fonts that I use for projects are ethical. While Isana has made my job easier by providing this content for my projects, if I ever had to find images outside of this folder I would make sure that I have permission to use it from the owner. Most stock photography websites show the profile of the photographer and make it easier to reach out to them to make sure I have the right to use it. I would also ask my supervisor for approval before using it in any project. For this internship I didn’t have to sign any contracts since most of the content is provided by my supervisor Isana. 

file:///C:/Users/islam/Downloads/AIGA%20Business_Ethics%2047556770-Use-of-photography-1-MB.pdf