Ashley Santiago

Growing up parents always dream of their children becoming doctors,lawyers,and teachers but those plans weren’t for me. Art has always been my passion.My passion became a part of my academic world when i attended Brooklyn High School of the Arts for visual/fine arts.Throughout those 4 years i was able to do what i love while getting an education.Although i loved art i  realized after painting and drawing everyday that i didn’t want to pursue it as a career. Still having a round the clock flow of ideas,i knew i still had to be artistic in a some way. Aside from art baking has always been a hobby of mine. Since 12 years old when i took my first cake decorating course at Michael’s i knew my hobby was there to stay. I’ve taken several classes and interned in bakeries in order to better my craft. To not disappoint my mom i still went to college and received an associates in art from LaGuardia Community college where i went in hopes of being a teacher as a “back up’.In a baking class I took in the city, my instructor spoke on her college experience at city tech for pastry arts. Until then i did not know that city tech offered a hospitality major, that’s when it all clicked for me. I was excited and relieved to know there was a school for me to do what i love and get a degree.My career goal is to incorporate my love for art through a different medium ;food. After City Tech  plan on pursuing pastry arts in hopes of opening my own business or becoming an executive pastry chef in an upscale,reputable  hotel.