For Feb 8: please read the love poems packet. We’ll talk about these in class.

For Feb 13: Please upload two poems (preferably on the same document) to this folder in Perusall. You MUST have a Perusall account to upload!

I will also collect your in-class writing notebooks. I’m not going to read these or comment– I know they’re private. I’m just giving you credit for doing the work. If there is something in there that you really don’t want me to see, fold the page over and I will not look.

Guidelines:

• Two Poems. Only one can rhyme, but you do NOT have to make either rhyme (in other words, at least one of your poems must not rhyme.)
    Use our in-class writing as a starting point– but go where you want to go with it! You can revise, add, rearrange, whatever you like!!
  • Must be turned in by 10 AM so I can read them before class
  • Please give your poems titles!!
  • Please title the file clearly with your name and the name of the assignment (for example: CarrieHallPoetry.doc)
  • Use word doc or PDF and double check that it has uploaded, and you can open it!! If using Google Docs, you will have to save your document as a .docx or .pdf and upload it here. It’s easy! Go to the FILE dropdown and click on DOWNLOAD. From there, you can choose your document type.

Here are some of the in-class exercises we did, if you need help remembering:
  • Names (you could write a poem about your name)
  • In depth-description from a small part of The Garden of Earthly Delights, by Heironymous Bosch
  • Epistolary (letter) poem, such as to Superman!
  • Concrete, significant detail poem describing a staircase or hallway you remember
  • Love poem
  • Choose a feeling and a noun (try forces of nature, animals, household objects). Combine the two to make a metaphor. Write about it!