Being in Brooklyn

active 9 years, 2 months ago
Being in Brooklyn
English
ENG 1101

Prof. Justin Davis, SPE 1330
Prof. Jody Rosen, ENG 1101

Brooklyn is a collection of neighborhoods and location, a microcosm of the world. This semester our Being in Brooklyn Learning Community will explore Brooklyn through archives at the Brooklyn Historical Society and library research, integrating our own experiences in the City Tech vicinity. Our goal is to communicate effectively, through reading and writing and listening and speaking, what it means to exist in Brooklyn. We will use a variety of approaches including spoken and written assignments that employ Web 2.0 technologies including City Tech’s OpenLab digital platform as well as YouTube and Google Maps. These assignments will create a digital archive of life in Brooklyn that will be available to explore in the future.

The course avatar is a map of Brooklyn and vicinity published by Rand McNally in 1897 as part of their Atlas of the World, courtesy of Wikimedia. Find it at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1897_Brooklyn_map.jpg

Acknowledgements

This course was created by: Jody R. Rosen

Project1- Bio

My name is Pamela Santana and i am 18 years old. Many people call me pam for short. I graduated […] See MoreProject1- Bio

Project #5- Summary

The Brooklyn Bridge is one of the beautiful landmarks in New York. Built by so many workers with […] See MoreProject #5- Summary

Project #4- Brooklyn Bridge

The Brooklyn Bridge             There are many beautiful historical landmarks in New York. Many […] See MoreProject #4- Brooklyn Bridge

Comment on "Schedule"

[…] post a dynamic course syllabus, run a class blog, or even create a multimedia class […] See MoreComment on "Schedule"

Comment on "Pangaea"

Have you looked into the origins of this word? From what language does it derive--and what are the […] See MoreComment on "Pangaea"

Comment on "Fledgling"

What is the source text for this glossary entry? See MoreComment on "Fledgling"

Sorry, there were no discussion topics found.

Project #2 Brooklyn Bridge

My location for Project #2 is the Brooklyn Bridge. This was the place I chose because it is a place in Brooklyn that you should absolutely see and visit if you haven't already. The Brooklyn bridge sees a lot of activity during all times of the day, See MoreProject #2 Brooklyn Bridge

Borough Hall

After taking my walk in Brooklyn I chose Brooklyn Borough Hall for my location. I see this building everyday when coming out of the train station on my way to school so it sparked my interest. It is located in front of Columbus Park which is right See MoreBorough Hall

The Brooklyn Bridge

10/05/13 Zeeshan Arif English 1101 Project #2 Overlapping New York I have been living here in New York for ten years now. In this ten years I have seen most of the New York. However I had never been to Down Town Brooklyn until I went to See MoreThe Brooklyn Bridge