ADV1100 Graphic Design Principles 1

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Final Critique!

Here is my work,tell ,me what you guys think.Overall, i did this within a matter of 30 minutes.It was the hardest 30 minutes only because i was afraid professor was going to make me start all over LOL.i bought a new bristol book wednesday night and was finished thursday because i went through so many trying to create a strong piece to end this semester off.It didnt go as planned though,i tried though.

Yuliya Bas

I had a digital version of the color bar but accidentally deleted it, oh well. The thing I remember most about my teacher reading the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is the realllyyyyy long run-on sentence describing Mr. Tumnus.

@jean i like your work not just because i drink that juice but because of it”s Unity it a start to something that could be great.It Refers to the cohesive quality that makes a composition feel as if it going somewhere even though it isnt complete or finished. Your Emphasis good but can be stronger in order to be achieved through placement, contrast, size, etc.

i love xura work it tends to have a great deal of rhythm,it repeated pattern, such as what we hear in music. In different art forms, it has an very complex interrelationship or a regular, steady beat.
    Repetition isnt even a problem in here the sequence;of color tends to ocure more than a few times with a mixture of design.Only thing i don”t like is that i didnt work with you when creating my project in which i should have.

i love xura work it tends to have a great deal of rhythm,it repeated pattern, such as what we hear or see i within repeated material,clothing,music,etc. In different art forms, it has an very complex interrelationship or a regular, steady beat.
    Repetition isnt even a problem in here the sequence;of color tends to ocure more than a few times with a mixture of design.Only thing i don”t like is that i didnt work with you when creating my project in which i should have.

Had some difficulties trying to comment on some of you guys photos,so i did is a reply below for .YuliyA,Your work tends to have a few
    Organic shape is one that resembles the flowing contours of an organism.i like the colors you used.It reminds me of the theme thanksgiving for some reason.I think the Value could be stronger, i see it Signifies the relative differences of light and dark but i had a hard time identifying your image at first,even though i found it

tiffanyaustin
    Participant

@Yuliya your completed art work is well done, your dominant color gives the viewer an obvious figure ground perspective (in a good way therefore we will not have to guess where the ground is). The accent color blends more with the dominant than sub dominant color. I feel that your composition is very well put together
    The only thing that I would change is the hue of the teacher sitting on the chair only because I feel that she may become lost in the background

tiffanyaustin
    Participant

My picture was inspired by my old art class room in elementary school. The most significant part object in the room that I could remember was the clothing line that held all of the student’s art work from a clothes pin. I used a Pringles can as my reference. I felt that the red as the dominant color would be a bit over powering at first but when I was complete I was pleased with my results

Yuliya Bas

@Jed, the most successful part is the free feeling of the object in the picture plane. It’s almost like you’re about to let go of the kite. The colors are slightly muted, but don’t take away from the serenity of the piece. The most unsuccessful would be the strange, rigid shapes of the clouds that distract me from the piece. I’m unsure if they were meant to be that way, but I don’t get that light, fluffy cloud feeling that would’ve worked better. I’m also confused by the way you went from the colors to the hat, which were more subdued, to vibrant colors in your palette, and then something in the middle for your final piece.

@Lee, the most successful part of your project is the feeling of happiness that I get when I see it and the way you followed the assignment by simplifying all the shapes using economy. The prismatic colors and the texture of the coloring also helps give it that coloring book quality. The most unsuccessful would probably be the text (Star Wars) that your tried to incorporate in there, I can’t read it that well and I think you can get the point across without it.

@Wanda, the most successful part is the playful quality and the interesting organic shapes that you created, also unifying the piece. It’s so much like a casual drawing you would do as a kid, since it’s very simplistic. I also like the way the way the figures and the ground are very obvious. The most unsuccessful part would be the strange picture frame, where the colors end abruptly on the edges. I’d also like to see the palette and reference so I can compare all 3.

Oh and thanks for the feedback Tiffany! Many people seemed to have checked out for the day :P

Yuliya Bas

@ Tiffany, I already finished typing the critiques by the time I saw your picture. Off the books, I think it’s awesomme, like a perspective drawing done for interior design. I’m lovin’ the shape of that garbage can and the pictures that are hung up.

tiffanyaustin
    Participant

Xuxa a part of your color reference appears monochromatic, and it works well in your finished product. The hair and tank top on your ballerina appear to be the same hue however you have managed to make them simultaneously contrast. I can also see this in the muted colors that you used for her skin and tutu.
    Your composition works well, the only thing I would change is, the hue of the audience member heads, if it was lighter there could be more emphasis

tiffanyaustin
    Participant

@Jeddy like your final composition, the repetition of the clouds makes me fell like Im really looking at a moving kite. I also like the texture of your clouds and sky. Your color reference appears patriotic and intermediate. The mixture of hues in the kites ribbons creates a harmonious appearance.
    The only thing that I would change is the scale of your kite, it should be a bit bigger if it is the focal view.

Jessica
    Participant

Below is my final free study, although it didn’t come out how i wished here it is.

The picture below, is a moment in time when i was young, one night i saw kitten outside . it was very only thing i could remember was feeding a kitten a can of tuna and every night since then. That moment i realized how this kitten inspired me not only think about myself but about others, even if they aren’t humans. My mom did say its dangerous but, i still did feed that kitten anyways.

Jessica
    Participant

Yuliya, your final free study made me feel like a kid again. The most successful part of your final composition, was your color harmony. You colors where muted and gives it a happy feeling. You can easily see what you are focusing on, by placing a saturated carpet next to a bright hue in the wall that is a muted green. the only thing i feel that wasn’t too successful, was maybe the dominate color, because to me in my eyes, the dominate color, i cant tell which one it is. According to your drawing, is it the green hue in the wall or is it the yellowish golden carpet? ( maybe its because i am not wearing my glasses =]) However over all composition was a success and i liked it very much.

Xuxa, first of all, i love your drawing =]. The most successful part was how you used a mitten in order to do your work and r you can sense a nice reption in the lines in the dance floor, by this i agree with Rodney how it showed like a steady beat. =] I liked how you used a key hole, making it like a shape in the wall, very interesting . What i say the only unsuccessful part, was the wall because in your color palette you had a hue of bright fusia color, that you didn’t show in your final maybe it was the paint. However over all great job =]

@Jedd
    Your picture plane was beautiful. You were able to capture the motion in your subject and it also made me feel something- like freedom, joy or inspiration. So you’re concept, for the project was very successful because it did exactly what we were supposed to do. I like that you mostly used prismatic colors and the warm ones were very bold against the blue. The shape of the clouds has a sort of repetition that reminds me of Ben Snead’s art work. I think what was unsuccessful was the use of your palette on your composition. The red starts to change colors and I don’t know if that was intentional due to color merging.

@Lee
    Your project was successful because television is usually a plays a big part in every childhood. When your parents are too busy, and when you’re just flat out bored, there’s the joy in being able to sit down and watch a good show or movie. Overall, your concept was very successful. You have a great use of economy in which the facial expression of one of your subjects tells the story right away. I suppose the most unsuccessful part is creating that middle ground with you and the television. You might have also wanted to outline Star Wars so that it’s more visible on the television screen.

@Jessica
    (I’m sure this is going to be Daniel’s favorite lol)
    Good work with paint because a lot of people gave up and you kept going.
    Your project was successful because of the use of color on the focal point. It tells a story without having to put in too much detail. I think the closes of the cat to you is really interesting because when you’re young everything looks very big and the color of the cat stands out the most in comparison to the others because it’s prismatic, where everything else is muted. I can see that you added texture to the cat’s fur, which was a great use of line and shape. I like the repetition on the ground because it also gives texture to the background. I think what wasn’t successful was the unity in the composition. It feels a little incomplete to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.