“The Silken Tent”

It has been interesting learning about poetry so far, although I do not feel that I learned much from this chapter. I am going to be discussing my interpretation of “The Silken Tent” during this post. In my opinion, this poem is basically a simile comparing a tent to a woman. It begins by stating that “She is as in a field a silken tent”, then continues to make references to the tent in the following lines. The word silken could be in reference to the delicate features that women possess. The poem then talks about the heavy dew that weighs down the ropes and when the breeze blows there is no longer any pressure. The tent has a strong core that stands tall which is evident by the line “That is its pinnacle to heavenward”.  I believe overall the speaker is discussing the tribulations faced by woman. They are free to do as they please although they may be “loosely bound” by their husbands. The also may face “bondage” because historically women were somewhat restricted in society which could be represented by the “heavy dew” perhaps.  The “pinnacle to heavenward” shows their ability to rise with support and togetherness. I believe the togetherness is signified by “Seems to owe naught to any single cord” meaning more than woman. These were just some of my thoughts when I heard this poem.

She is as in a field a silken tent

At midday when a sunny summer breeze

Has dried the dew and all its ropes relent,

So that in guys it gently sways at ease,

And its supporting central cedar pole,

That is its pinnacle to heavenward

And signifies the sureness of the soul,

Seems to owe naught to any single cord,

But strictly held by none, is loosely bound

By countless silken ties of love and thought

To every thing on earth the compass round,

And only by one’s going slightly taut,

In the capriciousness of summer air,

Is of the slightest bondage made aware.

3 Responses to “The Silken Tent”

1. Prof. Gold says:

I think that there is a lot to build on here; I like the way you’re working through the poem line-by-line. Good work.

2. redd says:

It really interesting that you mention women face tribulations with their husbands and currently in my physical assessment class I am currently doing research on the Indian culture and women are bounded by their husbands in the sense that they have no freedom, no opinion or value. They are usually forced into marriages and their husbands are the head of the family and he makes all decision. I think this poem can also bring out the cultural aspect of what women experience in certain culture.

3. I totally understand where you are going with this. I too am doing a research paper on The Western Wind, Boticelli’s Primavera: a lesson to my bride which focuses on lessons that a new bride is being taught through paintings, on submission and chastity. Teaching her how to be an ideal wife and understanding that her sole role in the marriage is procreation.