Reponse 8 – A Rose for Emily

I actually liked this story, I thought it was very interesting. The Stories that we have been reading recently seems to be more realistic and deal with mental illnesses and horrors of reality rather than superstition. The story was pretty normal until Emily wanted to buy poison from the druggist. It only made it more unusual when she didn’t say what it was for. I assumed she wanted to harm herself because she did seem to have some kind of problems at that point in the story. The next chapter reassured my assumption because people said that “she will kill herself”but they also said right after that “It would be the best thing”. Both Emily and Homer Barron disappeared soon after. I thought that had something to do with the poison. As the author goes in tot he future he describes Emily as sort of an anti-social, perverse, mysterious old woman with vigorous iron gray hair. She also did not let people into her house that easily and she shut down the top floor which was strange. When she had finally died, no one even knew how she died because they gave up trying to get information on her a long time ago. The ending was really surprising. I knew there was something was going to be revealed at the end of the story but this took a pretty wild turn. The iron gray head on the pillow also means that she laid with him in bed recently even though he died years ago.

This entry was posted in Response 9. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Reponse 8 – A Rose for Emily

1. Sharlene says:

I agree with you, this story was very interesting and definitely did went into a crazy turn that you wouldn’t expect would happen. Emily did seem to have problems. For her to murder the Homer Barron shows horror but Emily slept with the dead body which is bizarre and it shows her mental state and the horror of what people could be capable of.

2. BDingle says:

This story was indeed interesting the moment when she bought the poison i assumed that she would kill herself to no feel lonely anymore and not to be with a man who didn’t even like women. But the end of the story was the biggest twist and shocker because we wouldnt expect a woman to kill a man and then keep his body hidden .