Response 6

Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was a book worth reading, it had a lot gothic elements for example the scenery of the setting which gave it a gloomy and mystery feeling. Also the characters who give a loneliness vibe that gives more into the mystery of what is going on. It made me question everyone’s motives and what they can accomplish. The twist of the book had me thinking if Jekyll wanted the experiment to go the way it did.

Dr. Jekyll was a respected professor and he wanted to create a potion to get rid of evil parts of him. But instead he created a potion that allowed him to express his repressed evil urges. It made him into Hyde, who is ugly and other characters described as evil looking but don’t know why. He commits crimes like murder. I think Dr. Jekyll wanted the experiment go the way it did, this potion was his goal because he wants to release his evil urges.

In Dr. Jekyll’s narrative he talks about Hyde in a 3rd person manner as he isn’t truly doing it because it makes Dr. Jekyll feel less guilty. He blames all of the bad stuff on Hyde but he can stop the crimes if he stops drinking the potion. He loves being Hyde, he is a different person capable of doing anything he wants without consequences when he transforms back to Dr. Jekyll. I am assuming he has control because he never talked about waking up without memory of what has happened during being Mr. Hyde.

This entry was posted in Response 6. Bookmark the permalink.