Dracula (M.R)

Dracula is creature that many can look up to in the genre of gothic. It sets up a clear momentum of the gothic villain; a villain with a purpose. A purpose however established before the book ever touches upon the character(the villain much rather) and I love that. the scenes in this book are very well described and it is more vibrant than the Frankenstein descriptions in my view; for it doesn’t explain to much or too little, but it is just right. the description of Dracula is my ideal monster, for he is civilized, even if his physical appearance doesn’t make it so. the appearance of Dracula crawling and his physical description makes him look bestial or animalistic. the scene with the three female vampires is another good scene, which shows how seductive the female vampires(or vampires in general) are and can get in order to get what they want, which is their prey/victims. sadly in these chapters, it does not show us the character of Van Hellsing. and I really wanted a scene with Van hellsing, and a specific scene that I remember I loved. and that scene was looking in the tomb of Lucy, as Van hellsing and company walk through and see one of the victims of the count, which is of course Lucy herself. and it is very descriptive as Hellsing assures his company/companions that they are indeed safe in his capable hands and that he has learned many ways of keeping these creatures of the dark at bay. of course I would totally recommend this book and I myself must reread, for it is a very well done story.

This entry was posted in Response 5. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Dracula (M.R)

1. I, too, like the way they describe Dracula. And it’s cool to note that in today’s horror/gothic genre, Dracula mainly remains the same. As if Bram Stoker cemented the idea and imagery behind Dracula and his castle. I also like how Dracula doesn’t always look beastial, as he gets younger looking as he feeds, as if he gains vigor! I didn’t read much ahead to meet Van Helsing, but your desciption of his scenes sound pretty cool! Almost as if… he has a sense of justice 😉

2. NickolineD says:

Stroker’s character Dracula remained much more untouched and was not as modified as Shelleys The Creature was. I find it interesting as both monsters were much more interesting in their original forms that they were inteded to be. I wonder if there was a reason for that? Shelley was highly criticized back then because the Gothic was just becoming a new thing, but by the time Strocker writes his story they have become more common. There may be other reasons but this seems to be the easiest to spot for some.