Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - HD40 | Spring 2022

Preliminary Research and Picking a Topic

The topic that I have decided to write about in my Op-Ed Opinion Essay, is the global human rights violation, specifically in regards to the COVID-19 vaccine. Regardless of color, gender, or nationality, everyone deserves basic rights. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, also known as the International Human Rights Law, was adopted by the United Nations in 1948. In terms of civil, economic, political, and social rights, this proclamation promotes and defends them. Therefore, it is our right to preserve this freedom and ensure that every human has access to these basic liberties. When discussing human rights, the topic of the COVID-19 vaccine is brought up. Many people believe that mandating this vaccine is a violation of human rights.

Personally, I will be writing on the side of the people who believe the vaccine is not a violation of human rights. I chose to take this side because if citizens of our societies do not get vaccinated, the virus will continue to take over our people. Any public restaurant or movie theater that you go to now a days, will ask you for proof of vaccination and this is where a lot of people have started to develop this narrative that the COVID-19 vaccine is being mandated among us. However, countless lives have already been taken, as a result of COVID-19 and I believe it is time to put an end to all this death and suffering. I am not an expert in this field and still have some questions, but I will try my level best to highlight the pros of getting the vaccine in my essay to inspire people to get vaccinated.

What percent of the population has to get vaccinated in order for COVID-19 to not be considered a global deathly virus anymore?

How many lives have been taken so far because of COVID-19 and how many more will be taken at this rate of vaccination?

What are some basic human rights that we possess that prevent the government from mandating the vaccine?

1. Ruth Garcia

Hazeem, You have a clear focus and stance. I think you’re on the right track. I imagine you’ll have to look up things to help you understand what is and is not a violation of human rights and look up how public health factors into the question. You might also look up historical examples like polio where the vaccine was administered in schools.