Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - HD18 | Spring 2022

Discussion: Introductions

Please add a comment to this post introducing yourself to the class. In your comment, write a paragraph (approx. 100 words) discussing your academic interests, why you chose your major, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, or anything else you want to share (include your pronouns if you wish).

Please add your introduction by 11:59 p.m on Monday 1/31.

Before our in-person class session on Wednesday 2/2, come back to our site and get to know your classmates! Reply to one of your classmates’ comments. Do you have something in common? Did you learn something? Be kind.

1. Chelsea Brown

My academic interests in this class is seeing if my grammar, and my writing in general will improve. I’ve always struggled with my writing in English class, especially last semester, so I’m hoping I really show improvement. The major I’m going for is nursing, right now I’m pre-declared, meaning I have to take an exam to actually be in the program(which is in April by the way). I enjoy reading manga, which are comics that are made in japan. Most of them can be made into animations called anime. What I like listening to can be a variety of different genres, it just depends on my mood and finally what I do in my spare time is to read mangas, watch anime, or any shows that interest me, play on my PS4, or even watch some youtube for a bit. Also my pronouns are she/her.

• Princess Edem

Hey Chelsea, I’m planning to apply for Nursing and I’m taking the exam in April as well! I wish you good luck and hopefully, we both get into the program. I also wish you luck with English this semester, hopefully, you do better than the last!

• Tabitha Demero

Hi Chelsea, you and my brothers and cousins would kick it off based on your interest.

• Nigel Sukhnandan

Nice to meet you Chelsea. I noticed you posted this around 2 am, so like me you also get no sleep. I also like reading and watching manga and anime, whats some of your favorites? I have a lot of respect for med students so best of luck in nursing.

• Ruth Garcia

Chelsea and Princess you two should consider forming a study group!

2. Alex Shamid

My name is Alex Shamid and I am majoring in Computer information Systems. My family is from Guyana .My pronouns are he/him. I would like to do networking or cybersecurity in the future. My academic goals for this class is to improve on writing and reading. I am ok in writing but can improve and in reading sometimes I would get bored and distracted so I would like to improve on that as well .On my free time I like to play video games on my PS4, watch YouTube, or play basketball.

• Ruth Garcia

We will hopefully talk about reading strategies tomorrow.

3. Tameka

Hello everyone,
    My name is Tameka, and my pronouns are she/her. My major is Nursing, and I am currently a third semester nursing student. One more semester to go woot woot lol. I chose nursing after I got a job in the hospital a couple years ago. I didn’t aspire to be a nurse as a child.I actually wanted to become a teacher. My interest sparked after working alongside nurses in the hospital. I love how hands on they were in patient care, and I wanted to be a part of that. I must say English is not my favorite subject and I am not confident in writing. I dread writing because I think I am not good at it. I really hope that after this class my mindset will change, and I’ll become better at writing because it’s something that I have always wanted to be good at. I enjoy reading motivational books. My favorite book is “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff.” I am currently reading “The Four Agreements.” I love listening to RnB music and Dancehall. I prefer to watch Tv shows/series over movies. I love mysteries and thriller tv shows. In my spare time when I am on summer/winter break I love to travel. I have been to four countries so far.

• Ruth Garcia

Tameka– I also hope your perspective will change. There are many kinds of writing so I’m sure you have strengths in some kinds. And I also love mysteries–but the kind that happens in small villages with a tame murder. No thrillers for me.

4. Kristina

Hello,
    I have chosen a chemistry major to expand my knowledge of this world and, maybe become an evil genius scientist. I am also working as a pharmacy technician which gives me an opportunity to learn how chemistry influences our health. Most recent favorite novel is The Silence of the Girls, by Pat Barker. I also enjoy reading works of Friedrich Nietzsche, although he can be a little boring at times. I am currently on season 13 of Grey’s Anatomy, a show about surgical inters living their best, and worst lives. Keeps me motivated to become a surgeon myself. My favorite singer is Doja Cat. No shame.

Thank you, Oleinik Kristina

• Ruth Garcia

Are you planning to apply to medical school after college?

5. Princess Edem

Greetings everyone! My name is Princess Edem. My pronouns are she/her. I’m currently a freshman here at City Tech. Right now, I’m majoring in Liberal Arts and Sciences, but I plan to switch my major in Fall 2022 to Nursing once I finish my prerequisite courses and pass my TEAS exam. I chose the journey of becoming a nurse because I love to help others in need of medical help. What I enjoy doing during my spare time is watching shows on Netflix or reading books that have a lot to do with drama or romance. I also love to work with kids and I love to cook. I’m excited for what this semester is going to bring, and I can’t wait to meet new and interesting people.

• Ruth Garcia

It will be nice to have students together again so you can all meet and form groups and make friends.

6. Anaya Holland

Academically, I am interested in biology, business, literature, and Greek mythology. As of right now, my major is in business and fashion. This major was actually chosen for me but it is interesting so far and I wanted to push myself outside of my comfort zone in order to try new things as well as learn new skills. I enjoy reading from any genre of literature, but, specifically enjoy dystopian fiction, science fiction, and fantasy. I also listen to music from all genres but currently have been invested in music from the singer The Weekend. I like watching anime, current events, horror, and mystery, as well as sitcoms. In my spare time, I enjoy reading manga, browsing through YouTube, and sleeping as much as I can.

• Ruth Garcia

We have a science fiction class at city tech that is popular with students. We also have a sci fi conference every year. These might be of interest to you.

7. Nigel Sukhnandan

Hello everyone, my name is Nigel Sukhnandan. I am a Mechanical engineering major currently in my 4th semester. My goals and reason for choosing this major is to learn as much as I can about mechanical and software design to become a successful and very knowledgeable engineer. I also plan to take Economics for my flex core classes to learn more about the economy. When I have time, I like to read fantasy type books. My favorite authors are J. K. Rowling and Rick Riordan. I also like to read manga and watch anime, some of my favorites are Monster, Steins Gate and Code Geass. My pronouns are he/him. Nice to meet you and I hope we have a great semester.

• Ruth Garcia

I look forward to meeting you and am also hoping for a great semester after teaching virtually for almost two years.

8. Tabitha Demero

Hi to whoever is reading, I’m majoring in Mechanical Eng which does not assume that my academic interests are automatically science and math. A few courses I enjoy are metaphysics, any sociology class and art class. I choose my major because it was second best option. The first being Aerospace Eng or Teaching; but that was off the list because of my parents advisement. I love using my spare time watching movies or binge-watching shows; the genre being comedy or action. When I’m not in the taste for those activities I tend to listen to mostly 90s R&B music. But I will also like to add that I’m Haitian and second generation college student in my family. Im the only and last girl with two older brothers in the family. My pronouns are she/her.

• Ruth Garcia

Maybe you’ll practice and teach Mechanical Engineering!

9. Anthony Pietromonico

Hi everyone, my name is Anthony Pietromonico. Right now I am majoring environmental control But planning to switch to Civil engineering. My academic interest is definitely science and math, I love being able to figure something out or see how things are built and put together. On my off time I usually either watch anime or read manga my favorite definitely has to be attack on titan even though the ending is kinda Meh, and if I’m not doing that I’m probably in they gym. It was nice learning a little something about everyone and hopefully we have a great semester

• Sonia Dayal

Hey Anthony, attack on titan is also one of my favorites! I have to agree about the ending too lol.

• Ruth Garcia

Looking to see how things are put together is also useful for writing! And I’m also hoping for a great semester with all of you.

10. Vadim

Good morning, my name is Vadim Sapuha, my major is Computer Information System, I chose this major because I like using computers, playing games, watching how the game works, how different sites and forums work, I believe that the future will depend on computers and it will change. I like to listen to more quiet music, one that relaxes and soothes. To be honest, I don’t like to read, but if it is very interested, I can read some book about ancient Rome, about the old days, when people still worshiped the gods, about ancient Greece, it’s very interesting because I want to know how it was. In my free time, I like to workout, go out with friends to play football or play games. In this class I want to correct my grammar and improve my English. Nice to meet you everyone!

• Ruth Garcia

Since you enjoy things about the ancient world, maybe you’ll enjoy Antigone!

11. StephonS

Hi, my name is Stephon and my major is Paralegal/ Criminal Justice but secretly I wanna do accounting but I am scared to make the move. and I am currently in my second semester. I picked this major because that is the only topic I can listen to and pay attention to without falling asleep. My goal for this course is to finally push myself to do something I’m not comfortable with. I’ve never been an English class person so hopefully by the end of the semester, I will be able to watch myself grow as a reader or writer. Things I like to do is play games or basketball when its hot enough because right now its way too cold.

• brian torres

I hope you push your self to do accounting if you really like it and i also play video games, Which games you play?

• Ruth Garcia

Do we have accounting classes at City Tech? If so, you should see if you can take any to fulfill your requirements. This would give you the opportunity to see how you like it.

12. Scott Dayaram

Hello, my name is Scott Dayaram, I am currently majoring in Computer information System. My academic interest is math and history. In this semester I want to become a better writer to improve on writing essays. I picked Computer information System because I have an interest in learning about different types of software. I in joy watching comedy shows sometimes. During my spare time in watch You tube videos.

• Ruth Garcia

I look forward to working with you on your goals.

13. Josseline

Hello everyone. My name is Josseline Barros. My pronouns are she/her. My major is nursing, and I am in my second semester. This major appealed to me because it has been a childhood ambition of mine. Helping people, understanding how our bodies work, and being able to serve my community are all motivators for me to pursue my goal. In my spare time, I like to watch Netflix and YouTube. Aside from that, I enjoy reading books with elements of drama, romance, horror, and fantasy. I don’t have a particular musical preference, but I do enjoy dancing. I’m looking forward to a great semester full of new friends.

• Tameka

Hey Josseline,good luck with second semester! NUR 1110 was challenging for me but I pulled through and you will too.Do lots of practice questions!You got this!

• Ruth Garcia

Josseline and Tameka–if you two are at the same point in nursing, it might be useful to form a study group.

14. brian torres

My name is Brian, i enjoy playing video games and going out. One of the reason i chose communication design is my love for video games, i want to be apart of that community and one day be a reason why other fall in love with entertainment and video games. When i was young i would always spend my time drawing. I drew almost everything my eye could see, from cartoons to toys to book covers. I let go of that hobby sadly, But after I realized what i wanted to do I knew i had practice drawing again. I want to progress my writing and reading. I had professor Garcia last semester so i’m excited to come back and learn. more from her as i like watching shows and movies. Some of my favorite shows are Money Heist, All American, and Power.

• Ruth Garcia

Welcome back to my class, Brian. I think your drawing skills might come in handy for Unit 3.

15. Ishmael Thompson

Hello! My name is Ishmael but you can call me Ish for short. I’m majoring in Data Science so I can help people design and code websites. I mostly take interest in writing classes because I will need that for formatting text for designing websites but (mostly) also because I plan on making a manga (Japanese Comic Book). I really like making stories and characters that make the readers feel and teach lessons through actions, characters and plot. I also draw digitally and traditionally and I’m doing my best to improve my skills, as of now I am a beginner artist, and I want to make my manga with my skills inspired by anime(Japanese animated shows usually based off of manga). I’m a big fan of heroic characters and draw them or just a bunch of cool stuff so I have fun while drawing (I also post my drawings on Twitter and Instagram). While doing that I listen to music like soundtracks, rock, 90’s and a few other genres, which I also listen to while playing on my PS4. Enough about me though, I’ve been rambling for too long lol. I hope you’re all doing fine and it would be a pleasure to learn, talk to and work with you guys this semester! Best wishes from yours truly. 🙂

• Ruth Garcia

Maybe you’ll be able to make manga for Unit 3–we’ll talk about this more soon!

16. Sonia Dayal

Hello! my name is Sonia, my pronouns are she/her. My intended major is nursing but in order to be accepted into the program, I need to take an exam. My academic interest in this class is to improve upon my writing skills. I sometimes struggle to put my thoughts and ideas into words so I hope to find efficient ways in which I can improve that in my writing. Regarding music, I don’t really have a preference. I just listen to various genres. On my spare time, I enjoy reading manga, watching anime or any show that interests me, and painting as well. I look forward to meeting everyone and hope we have a great semester 🙂

• Ruth Garcia

Sonia- You should connect with Chelsea and Princess in our class. They are also studying for the nursing entrance exam.

17. Tyler Fabian

My name is Tyler Fabian and I’m from The Bronx , my pronouns are he/him and this is my second semester of college. My academic interests for this course are to improve my writing skills like my grammar, and also not sounding repetitive. My current major is liberal arts but I am considering different programs/ majors to transfer into. Although I don’t read traditional books I do like to read articles online about topics that interest me such as my health and where I’m from. I listen to mainly rap and r&b but every now and then I get in my Dominican mood and listen to Spanish music. I like watching shows and movies, and I recently got into the show Friends. During my free time I go to the gym hang out with my friends or girlfriend and I also play games on my ps4. It was great to read everyone’s comment and have a great semester.

• Ruth Garcia

Tyler- we will work on your writing goals this semester.

18. Aking King

Hey there, my name is Aking King my pronouns are he/him. I’m currently in my second year of majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I chose mechanical engineering because it’s the most versatile engineering degree one could get. I’m interested in developing/ manufacturing and machinery in engineering. I’m not currently reading anything but I enjoy reading books on self help and business.I love music, I listen to every genre but I enjoy listening to r&b the most. I have a few hobbies I’m into such as photography, food, fashion, cars and gaming.

• Ruth Garcia

What makes Mechanical Engineering the most versatile engineering degree?

19. Francisco Rodriguez

Hi everyone, my name is Francisco Rodriguez; my current major is Facilities Management. This is my third year at City Tech, and I have already finished my associates in Environmental Control Technology (ENVC). My first choice for a career was teaching, but it didn’t happen so enrolled in the ENVC program with the goal of helping people feel comfortable in closed spaces, you know good room temperature, and good air quality. Also, I have a fulltime job in retail, and the rest of my free time I watch Netflix and YouTube. My goal is to improve my writing skills in this class, and make some friends as this will be my returning semester to in-person classes at City Tech.

• Ruth Garcia

Francisco– this is also my first semester back to in-person since March 2020! I can’t believe how much time has gone by since then.