Red wall with graffiti in different colors, including black, red, and teal colored angular bubble letters that read "pixel"
brainstorming” by nist6dh via Flickr CC BY-SA 2.0

Week 3: Brainstorming Unit 1

For Monday, 9/11

Text

• Read the personal narrative “Learning to Read” by Malcolm X.
  • Read the personal narrative: “Maybe I Could Save Myself By Writing” by José Olivarez.
  • Note: You can also find the Olivarez narrative in this Google doc –you can use this if you prefer to not create an account on Medium, which is the magazine where the piece can be found. If you do make an account on Medium, be sure you use the free account option.

Write

• As usual, annotate printed out or downloaded versions of Malcom X’s and José Olivarez’s narratives.
  • Add one of your annotations to each of the assigned texts–choose one you would like to share with your classmates. To annotate, click on the Google doc of each text: “Learning to Read” and “Maybe I Could Save Myself By Writing.” When you are in the document, do the following:
    • Highlight the portion of the text you are annotating and add a comment with your notes. Make sure to add your name to your comment so that you can get credit for your work. First name only is fine. I will ask if I can’t figure it out. Do this at least once in each narrative.
    • If someone else has already added a comment to the part of the text you want to annotate, simply respond to that persons comment and add your notes. Be sure to include your name in the comment.
  • Come to class with your annotated text and prepared to use your annotations in a variety of discussion and writing activities. 

For Wednesday, 9/13

Texts

• Read the dialogue “Allegory of the Cave” (Book VII) from The Republic, by Plato. Note: You can read the Plato text quickly as we will reread together in class.

Write

• We will annotate and write during class.