My process for my project was coming together rather slowly. There was information I had collected from fellow runners. My question to them was to explain what makes them run long distances. I also asked what keeps them going on these long runs. I requested for them to send me a one to two minute video in their natural element. Nothing fancy and to just be themselves. I was disappointed in that I couldn’t use the 3 videos my fellow runners was so kind to supply me with. I wanted to use slides and videos, but sometimes what you envision doesn’t exactly unfold. I went into my project confident and excited that it will all come together. I’ve been compiling my information and making some flash cards to write down the most important information I wanted to use. Or better said key points.

I had some technical difficulties putting my project together in a you-tube format. I thought everything would be seamless. But I learned very quickly that if you are not technically savvy this can be very challenging and would be a set up for failure. I wasn’t able to have the guidance of my niece whose an expert at this due to international travel. My you-tube was not a success so I had to rethink and use another method that I could navigate a little easier. I chose to do an infographic. It wasn’t that easy for me due to my lack of experience in this area. I tried to convey the message that I was aiming for without my voice, no audio que sound effects and no background music.

The most important point I was hoping to make is to convey why runners choose to continue to run long distances despite all of the obstacles they encounter. It is very easy to get lost trying to make this point without digressing from the main topic. I did not get to create the you-tube video I envisioned. I felt it would’ve been the best way to keep my audience interested even if they weren’t a runner. I wanted to make it interesting and keep the audience engaged, excited via the audio and visual effects.

I’ve learned through out this project that I have to become more tech savvy. I need to utilize my time more wisely without getting distracted by looking into more information that I don’t need to. It doesn’t have to take that long. If I start to add new information unnecessarily I will lose the audience. Since I couldn’t do the video I had to switch gears quickly. I decided to change it to the infographic and even that was moving along a lot slower than expected. Some of the variables that contributed to my delay was combined with work, personal commitments and another class project. My main focus was to stay calm, show up to class everyday and continue to work through the obstacles. It was very important for me to stay focused, not get disillusioned and know that I can do this. It’s very easy for a student to start not showing up to class if they aren’t doing assignments, falling behind or just not feeling that they are measuring up to the expectations of the class. It’s just that much easier to hideaway. But that only makes the situation worse. It’s important to seek help, ask questions, put yourself in that awkward uncomfortable position to get what you need done. The worst thing someone can say is they don’t know or can’t help. You must not give up and keep trying and keep showing up. If there is one main attribute that running has taught me is that…be strong, don’t give up and keep trying. And to always, always have a plan b. I would have to say that my running has given me strength allowing me to not stress the setback of my project. I was determined to figure it out and complete it. This is equal to the confidence boost that running affords you. It’s one of the key messages that I was hoping to convey through my alternate plan b… the infographic.

I hope my audience learns of the hunger that runners possess goes beyond just running long distances. There is so much more to it, not just physically but mentally. Everyone has a story as to why they run. I incorporated real life stories into my infographic of people who went through some very traumatic life changing events in their life. These runners benefited from their already running experience and another didn’t have any. I want to be able to bring to life what they felt inside, even it was just through pictures. I also included some random pictures to show how happy some people were, even with some physical limitations and disabilities. It would be great if my audience is left with excitement and desiring to give this sport a try. That they too would be craving a runner’s high. This in turn would turn into a permanent life style for physical and mind wellness. As some will say and attest to, “running is cheaper than therapy”.