Project II (post ideas before May 5th Session)

12 thoughts on “Project II (post ideas before May 5th Session)

1. Ryoya Terao Post author

(Note: This was also announced on BB on May 1st).

ENT 1190 Project II

As announced, you will start working on Project II shortly. First of all, before the next session, you all need to post some simple ideas as possible storylines. There is a new thread on OpenLab:

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/ent1190spring-2015/project-ii-2/

Avoid this Storyline:
    Please don’t suggest a story on a student who oversleeps, and is eager to get to school, and in the end, he/she finds out that the class is cancelled or the school is closed. Or, it was just a dream…This has been done more than enough. You are more creative than that. However, it could be about someone who runs to get to his/her destination, and there are some obstacles in between. The ending should be somewhat unexpected.

Location:
    Your locations must be inside Voorhees or around the building because the time is limited, and Alex and I will need to supervise you all.

Online Discussion:
    You all must participate in the online discussion on OpenLab throughout Project II (pre-production, production, and post-production). This applies to everyone, including the three people who wish to produce their own short videos individually. My expectations on the three people’s projects are high as they have more video experience. They could possibly get some extra points if they actively assist their classmates’ group project in filming and editing (but don’t take over). In that case, they must write about how they assisted the classmates on OpenLab in addition to their own project report.

Again, it is required for everyone to participate in the discussion on OpenLab. This process is important to be prepared before you film, to critique after viewing yours and your classmates’ footage, and to finalize the project.

Each project should be somewhere between 1 minute and 3 minutes long upon completion. These are criteria as follows (You are welcome to include more variety of shots):

On Tripod
    • LS EXT. your filming location
    • Tilt & Pan (include them somewhere in your story)
    • LS, MS, CU Person
    • Person entering and exiting frame (from any angle)

Handheld shots
    • Contra zoom (do it better than Project I!)
    • Walking shot for 10 seconds (from any angle, follow your character, make it as steady as possible)
    • Indicate your understanding of 180 degree rule

Simple Editing
    • Express good pacing (rhythm) and “emotion”
    • Continuity
    • NO fancy effects/graphics are needed, focus on a simple visual storytelling

You must bring your own hard drive to store your footage at the end of each filming day. If you would like to get a copy of any of the footage or photos from this course, please inform me.

Schedule for the Rest of the Semester:
    Tuesday the 5th: Lecture, discussion, form groups, group discussion
    Thursday the 7th: Filming Project II (take home Quiz 2 will be given)
    Tuesday the 12th: Filming Project II
    Thursday the 14th: Editing (in addition, our computer labs have open hours)
    Tuesday the 19th: Final Exam, Upload all the Project II videos online (Youtube is fine), and post the links on OpenLab.

The final exam will be based on the materials, which we covered after the midterm only.

All the best,

Ryoya

1. Itohan

I was thinking of shooting something that we didn’t get time to in class. The banana peel scene.

1. Michael

Me and Ito had this same idea which is why we wanted to be in the same group.
        We wanted to do the banana peel story from the in class excercise that we didn’t get to do.
        We had already came up with a list of shots and a story but we never go to film it, so we wanted to do it for this project.

1. Ryoya Terao Post author

In your case, as it is your individual project, I’m not opposed to the idea of a music video. Here is something for you to think of, however: In films, soundtracks are considered secondary. Music should not take over films. However, the nature of music videos is to promote songs in general. Therefore, the challenge is to create a quality video that “sells” a song and at the same time, “portrays” the content artistically. I think music videos can be innovative and artistic, but in reality, not many of them are, in my view. So, if you are planning to produce a music video for this assignment, don’t just make one that is ordinary. Instead, shoot an artistic piece! For that, you need to have a scheme. All the best!

2. Shelton Yamanoha

Normally I don’t read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, very great article.