Professor: Joe Brogdon

Agenda: Week 1

dark background, person sitting not well lit with a bright "hello" written in script in yellow in the foreground
\\\\\” by M I S C H E L L E via Flickr CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Week 1: Course Overview & Discourse Communities

For Thursday:

Texts:

• None! It’s the first day!

Writing:

• There is no writing due before class on Thursday, because it’s our first day.

For next week on Tuesday:

Texts:

• Read “Mother Tongue” by Amy Tan
    • https://english.washington.edu/sites/english/files/documents/ewp/teaching_resources/amy_tan_s_mother_tongue.pdf

Writing:

• Write a paragraph discussing your academic and personal interests. If you have a major, what is it and why did you choose it? If you don’t yet have a major, what areas of study are you considering? What types of genres do you enjoy reading, listening to, or watching? Share any other information you’d like, including your pronouns.
  • Think about language and the different ways you communicate or speak. Choose a word or phrase that you use with one group of people (family, friends, co-workers, etc.) that would not be understood by a different group of people in your life. What is the meaning of this word or phrase? How would you explain it to someone who is an outsider?
  • Post your writing for both prompts as a comment on our Discussion: Introductions post.

1. princess

Hi, my name is Princess Joulissa Coimin. I was born and raise in Haiti. My major is undecide for now, but am looking to be in the psychology field. I go by She/Her. I speak three languages which are Haitian Creole, French and English. I love to listen to music it help me to calm down and think other wise, I love to watch cartoons because I love that it brings me back to my childhood, and I only read interesting books like teens kind of books. Friendship can be hard to explain and hard to earn it ,we didn’t learn it in school neither at home. Having a friend means having a family a siblings, someone you will call for anything and they will stand by you no matter the cost. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship you really haven’t learned anything.

2. Joshua gonzalez

My name is Joshua Gonzalez. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. My Major is Computer Mechanical Engineering and the reason I chose it is because honestly it would make me the most money with the knowledge learned. I go by He/Him. I’m considering becoming either a software engineer or a hardware developer. I really like movies like “La Haine”, “City of God” and “The Florida Project” because it show that other people have it harder than me and I should be thankful for everything I have. I also really like to program my own little video games to pass the time. I have been playing video games with my brother and sister ever since I can remember so that’s what led me to video game programming

3. Bree

Hello my name is Brianna Wigfall but Bree for short, Im a computer systems major and it’s very exciting. I was always interested in computers and technology as a little kid since I’ve played a lot of video games and grew up a bit tomboyish. Currently I have a PC for work and gaming which is one of my hobbies as well as drawing, music, anime, photography and so on. For reading I love horror and mystery genres, it has a nice thrill to it. I am currently reading a book about murder which I’m excited for. For pronouns any is really fine but I mostly use she/her pronouns. For the second part of this introduction I think a word I and close ones use is probably “Sugoi” with my friends and it means awesome or amazing in japanese. It all started off from an anime character, so when we play video games we would use it either in a sarcastic way or sometimes in a genuine way. I would describe it as a word you’ll say if you met Beyonce and you really love her. That is the end of my introduction. Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully I can learn more about my classmates and so on. 

4. Connor Davis

My name is Connor Davis and my major is Entertainment Technology.I chose this major to future my hobby of producing and constructing Entertainment for consumers.My favorite Type of book to read is Books about Human nature.I use these books to easily understand people’s mindset and lifestyle.My family are from the Small country of Trinidad and Tobago ,we speak speak English so I don’t have a certain word or phrase that’s different.What we do have is broken english ,our accent is so strong that a foreigner would have a hard time understanding our words.The only way I can explain this accent is British/Indian/African mix.

5. Irina Urmi

Hi, My name is Irina Urmi. I was born in Bangladesh. My major is health science. I speak two language which is are bengali and english. I love reading all genres, except for romance novels. I just think they’re bland, but that’s my opinion. No favorites in particular, i love thrillers, action, fantasy and historical fiction. I love a good biography and mystery novels.