Representation affects our perspectives and the ability to envision our future selves in said perspective. So, if we are not properly represented, we do not see ourselves achieving much since there are not lots of people who look like us accomplishing the thing we hope to achieve.  My research proved to be very perceptive and worthwhile, I learned so much new information and expanded on the ideas I had prior. While researching the effects lack of representation has on the racial and gender gap within STEM, I found that young girls lose interest in STEM from as early as grade school. In classrooms, young girls are more likely to be excluded from STEM activities because is do not align with their gender role in the eyes of society. As a result, young girls’ lose their initial interest in STEM then as they enter the workforce, they are inclined to choose a more gender-appropriate job within their gender expectations. However, when young girls are placed in an environment that includes them, they are more likely to choose a career that aligns with their initial STEM interests. Second, I found that getting more girls into STEM is not the only way to bridge the gender gap in STEM but also getting the women who currently have STEM careers to stay and excel in said careers. Lastly, I found that in order to bridge the racial gap within STEM we need to create equal educational opportunities for minorities and people of color from elementary to secondary schools while focusing on expanding minorities’ access to advanced STEM learning opportunities. Something that surprised me during my research was that 40% of women are leaving their STEM careers just after five years. Prior to my research I know there was a major gender gap in STEM and my solution to said problems was to get more girls in STEM so they can fill the gap but that is not the case. Since more girls are entering STEM more women who currently have STEM careers are leaving at a rapid rate which does nothing for the gender gap.

The information I acquired during my research is important because it not only highlights the impending need for gender and racial equality in STEM but also provides some solutions to solve said inequalities. These solutions will not only help me but other African Americans and females or both to find the motivation they always help to pursue their STEM careers. Said solutions will also benefit generations to come inspiring them to follow their STEM interest while ignoring gender norms which will eventually complete closing the racial and gender gap in STEM. My intended audience is younger girls, teenagers, and college students who are minorities or people of color age ranging anywhere from 14-25. As I think they would be the ones to benefit from the information provided since they are the ones who could bridge the racial and gender gap in STEM to make the workforce more diverse.