A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Erik Borg, “Discourse Community” and Patricia Bizzell “What Is a Discourse Community?”

Although we may have not been aware of it, we all have been involved with discourse communities in one way or another. Be it a club one was in, a forum or subreddit we posted to, or even being within a group of friends who liked one thing intensely,  to one extent or another, we were in  a discourse community.

Now, I would like you to reflect upon your portrait of a word assignment. In this post, please express how possibly you were a person in a specific discourse community and define it.

Possibly, stating these items will help to shape your community within your post: 1) was there a particular language used or way of stating things 2) Were there individuals that would not be considered as part of that group possibly, but only because of small differences that would allow them their own group 3) are you still a member of this group, has the group changed over time, or how would the group have to change to keep its members.  4) What genre was associated with this group.

1. Vincent Huang

The discourse community I’ve been possibly associated with is with the Chinese community because I grew up with it and it has been a big impact on my life. The particular language mainly used in this community is mandarin. The individuals that would not be considered are people that don’t want to be involved since the community welcomes people who want to be involved. I feel I’m still part of this group because my family is heavily involved in this community by pulling me into the traditions such as Chinese New Year, and many more. The older I become the more involved I have to be since the elders in the family may be unable to set up.

• Naomi Quizhpi

I think that it will be a very good interesting community to write on, I think that the Chinese culture and language will be something both educational and fun to explore on

2. Naomi Quizhpi

The discourse community i’ve been possibly associated with is the art community due to me still being very much active and present in the community. The particular way in we speak is very detailed terms such as the kind of media of art a person does something specific of a paint color etc. There are people that would not be considered as part of that group which are people that use AI as a form of making art although it has become its own small group. I am still part of this group and I think many aspects of it have change

3. D'Andre Samuel

The discourse community I’ve been possibly associated with is the 2-d Fighting game community as it has been apart of my life for years. The language is alot of terms that are coined by our experts in the community. We usually are separated by the genre of fighting game we play, whether it’s a platform fighter, 3d or 2d, each has its own discourse community. I am still apart of this group, but I think if the group wanted to change in order to keep it’s members, members would have to accept modern controls as a valid way to play these games otherwise I can see this community dividing into 2 separate groups. One that stays traditional only using motion inputs for their moves in fear of their games becoming too easy and another that is open to all ways of play that I believe will be more open to new people.

• Naomi Quizhpi

I absolutely enjoy games and I think that this will be something very fun to write about, the gaming community is absolutely filled with 2-d fighting games that are so interesting. The different ways that gamers make their works will be something that can be well research on.

• Christopher Dominguez

This is a very interesting community, and it would be easy to write about because I feel like everything just flows when you talk about something you’re passionate about. This community will be really fun to research because a big portion of the research would be playing the game.

4. Christopher Dominguez

The discourse community I’ve been possibly associated with is the Hispanic/Latino community. The language mainly used is Spanish. The people welcome in the community are any foreigner that can speak Spanish, the community will view this as a sign of respect and a sign you want to know more about our community. I am still part of this community because my family and I still celebrate tradition like carnival , “dia del primer grito de independencia de Quito” and may more. As a kid adults don’t expect you to be involved in the community, but as you grow older you will be expected to be more involved.

5. Hussain Alsaeedi

The discourse community I’ve been possibly associated with is the Iraqi community, I was born to Iraqi parents in an Iraqi community in Nebraska. When I was a year an a half my parents came back to Iraq while I came with my siblings to Iraq with them. I lived in Iraq for ten years where I was just associated with Iraqis. When I came back to the United Stated I started watching Instagram my favorite jokes were Iraqi jokes which contained many things from Iraqi culture. I am an Iraqi and I spent my best memories while being in Iraq and while laughing at Iraqi jokes in the United States.

6. Amina Umaralieva

The discourse community I’ve been possibly associated with for not a while is optometry. I’ve been working in eye doctor’s offices for a last year and have found out how important it is to have a communication skills in order to effectively collaborate with patients in the community and to provide quality eye-care. Since patients greatly value communication, results point out the common weaknesses students struggle on to improve in the future. Among the optometry community, there are a set of common goals that define a discourse community. The optometrist, patient, and optometry assistants must work together as a team to provide the best care possible to patients. As a student that just started their journey in optometry I can confirm how important it is to develop interpersonal skills in order to create a positive connection with the patients.

• Amina Umaralieva

Also I want to mention that there are a lot of medical terms that some people do not understand since they are not a part of this group, which is technically considered as a “language” of optometry.

I think every person who at least gets an eye-exam and speaks to their doctor sometimes already has involved in this community.

I am still a member of this group and still trying to catch up with those who have been associated with optometry for years.

I think genre associated with optometry is common public goals since eyesight is very important for every human being and it is the main goal for people to take care of it at the first place.

7. Isaaclou

The discourse community I have been involved in would be within the Haitian community. Growing up, I had a lot of Haitian friends that I surrounded myself with but overtime I would naturally move away from just being around Haitian people and become more acquainted with other demographics of people. Starting from high school I primarily had more white, Hispanic, and Asian friends rather than Haitian friends. Eventually I would even start to have less and less black friends. This would make people of my own race and ethnicity slightly look at me differently as my close friends were all very different than one another. Even my mom felt like she couldn’t connect with me too much because of how she felt I lost a large part of my culture.

8. JaidenL56

The discourse community I’ve been possibly associated with is the Caribbean community because I grew up with it, and it has greatly impacted my life. The particular language that is mainly used in this community is English but the only difference is that it’s broken English so we just say things differently it still has the same meanings but there are also Caribbean countries that speak Spanish too. The individuals who would not be considered a part of this community are people who don’t want to be involved since the community welcomes people who want to be involved. I’m still part of this group because my family and friends are involved in this community and especially during the summer there are plenty of Caribbean events. The older I become the more involved I am into all of the Caribbean cultures and even the events.

• Isaaclou

This is relatable for me as I am also apart of the Caribbean community. The community is very inviting but a lot of people don’t want to be involved as they move on eventually and aren’t tied too close to their culture anymore.

9. chandlerwu

The discourse community I’ve been associated with is the anime community because when i was young i watch the first ep of dragon ball on T.V on a Saturday afternoon. I would always look forward to Saturday, so I can watch the series. anyone can join this community all you got to is watch anime or get a recommendation from someone in the community of what anime you should watch. I am still part of this community and over time it change because there are more anime. the genre that is associated with this is the battles that are going on it the anime and the various ability that are going on. many the adventure and combat.

• Isaaclou

There are also alot of sub-communities within the communities like romance, shonen, and isekai. Its pretty interesting how vast the communities has gotten since anime has become more and more mainstream within the last ten years or so.

• John C

I could say I was also introduced to anime the same way and got deeper into anime with other people recommending me animes such as Hunter Hunter which is one of the first animes that was recommended to me.

• Christopher Dominguez

I was also introduced to this community when I was young, and I still watch anime. I agree with Isaac that there are many sub-communities in anime, so there are different audiences for different genres.

10. Melissa Creese

Adoption is mostly used in the adoption community. Breeders is mostly used in the breeding community. There are individuals that rather be in the breeding community than the adoption community because in the breeding community you can breed your pet and make money from breeding your pet. I considered myself in the adoption community because I had a cat that was adopted by somebody that was moving to Georgia and she gave the cat to my parents. The genre is all about animals.

11. John C

the discourse community I am a part of is the Hispanic/Latino community where I am Ecuadorian but have found myself surrounded by other ethnicities and realized how everyone has their own way of speaking Spanish. they have their own definitions/interpretation of different words also different slangs which I am still learning