Reading: Writing That Works, Ch 3, “Writing the Draft.”

During the first ten minutes of class, write a summary memo of Writing That Works, Chapter 3, “Writing the Draft.” In your response, write about how the strategies described in the textbook and used in class on Project 1 relate to the writing processes that you learned in ENG 1101 and ENG 1121.

11 thoughts on “Reading: Writing That Works, Ch 3, “Writing the Draft.”

1. Isaias G.

MEMO
    To: Professor Jason Ellis
    From: Isaias, Jonathan, Michaelangelo, Paul Nembhard
    Topic: Mock Interview Questions

Introductory Paragraph
    In this Memo by Michaelangelo, Jonathan, Paul and I selection of the ideal six questions for an interview. We each picked six questions, then further selected the six best ones. These final six questions will be the ones that we will use in our mock interviews.We wanted to highlight real world questions that will benefit the interviewer and interviewee, and also ones that might seem out of place but that can be answered professionally.

Jonathan 6 Questions
    Sell me this pen.
    How do you want to improve yourself in the next year?
    What are your strengths?
    What attracted you to this company?
    What do you know about this company?
    Why did you choose your major?

Michaelangelo 6 Questions
    How many times a day does the minute hand and the hour hand of a clock over-lap?
    Ability to think on feet.
    What would you do if you won the lottery?
    Are they desperate for this job.
    If you found out your company was doing something against the law, like fraud, what would you do?
    integrity and company loyalty.
    What is your greatest fear?
    personality question.
    There’s no right or wrong answer, but if you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?

If you could choose one superhero power, what would it be and why?
    personality question.

Isaias 6 Questions
    What attracted you to this company?
    This is important since this shows you actually know what the company and job you are applying to are about
    What are you looking for in terms of career development?
    This is important because it shows the kind of initiative you have, and where you personally see yourself in the future
    If I were to give you this salary you requested but let you write your job description for the next year, what would it say?
    Do you just want the pay, with no work, or are you willing to really work?
    If I were to ask your last supervisor to provide you additional training or exposure, what would she suggest?
    Subtle way of asking your weakness, one that can be confirmed
    Describe how you would handle a situation if you were required to finish multiple tasks by the end of the day, and there was no conceivable way that you could finish them.
    Can you prioritize the important tasks.
    What was the last project you headed up, and what was its outcome?
    Personal experience

Paul 6 Questions:
    Who was your favorite manager and why?
    What are your strengths?
    Why are you leaving your present job?
    What irritates you about other people, and how do you deal with it?
    What salary are you seeking?

FINAL SIX

What attracted you to this company?
    Shows how you would react in a tense and difficult situation
    What is your greatest fear?
    personality question.
    Sell me this pen?
    Creativity, and initiative
    What salary are you seeking?
    Shows you did homework on the job position and its worth.

2. mIcHaeLAnGeLo_BrOwN

MEMO
    TO: Professor J. Elllis
    FROM: Michaelangelo D. Brown
    DATE: Mar. 04, 2015
    TOPIC: WTW Chapter 3: Writing the Draft

After all the brainstorming and organizing of your outline it is time to write a draft. The best easiest and most efficient way to do this is to free. Do not worry about grammar or weather your thought are clearly stated. Remember it’s just an initial draft, and you or some-one you know will proof read it. You should once again take into account your audience. Knowing who your audience is will determine how much detail should be included when you are writing. Start a draft with the topic that interests you. This will instill you with confidence and positive momentum moving forward with your draft. If you are writing to multiply audiences write to the primary audience and depending on the purpose for writing acknowledge a secondary audience. When writing to an international audience get feedback from someone from that same culture about the way you write. Be sure to ask if the tone is offensive or appropriate.
    In the application letter for our portfolios we should use this opportunity to demonstrate our confidence; through the tone of our writing.

3. Justin Song

MEMO
    TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Justin Song
    DATE: 3/4/15
    TOPIC: Chapter 3

When writing the draft, the writer must first think of the audience he/she will be sending this letter to. If the company is very strict and formal, the writer must be very formal in their letter and be very respectful. However, if the company is more laid-back and very informal, it may be better to write an informal letter that is still very respectful in order to avoid any hostilities. The writer must also be very punctual with his/her grammar and composition. If the draft shows many grammatical and compositional errors, the company will see this person as one who does not care for fine details and will most likely ignore the writer’s letter, which is not something the writer would want when applying to the company.

4. PeterchrisF12

Memo

Professor Ellis

Peterchris Florentino

March 4, 2015

Writing the Draft

I’m pretty bad at peer review, because sometimes I just can’t find what’s wrong with someone’s piece. A good strategy I’ve learned when looking at another person’s paper is does it make sense. The sentence structure should be flowing. It’s good to know where you are going from the beginning to avoid confusion as to who’s reading it. The content and information should always follow a certain order that organizes the writers thought in a proper manner. In doing peer review when I get mines back is usually grammar mistakes, so always check grammar.

5. aremi.ruiz

MEMORANDUM
    TO: PROFESSOR ELLIS
    FROM: AREMI RUIZ
    DATE: MARCH 4, 2015Z
    RE: SUMMARY MEMO OF WRITING THAT WORKS, CHAPTER 3, “WRITING THE DRAFT.”

The following memorandum is a summary memo of Writing That Works, Chapter 3, “Writing the Draft.” as well as strategies described in the textbook and used in class on Project 1 that relate to the writing processes that I learned in a Law Through Literature course.

Chapter 3, “Writing the Draft” of Writing That Works’ main focus is the process of writing the draft of a work document. When drafting a document, it is important to remember it is not supposed to be a polish finished product. The chapter provides a guideline of how to start and finish a draft. Additionally, it also highlights the importance of focusing on your audience when you are drafting the document.

Instead of talking about strategies I learned in my ENG 1101 class, I opted to talk about the writing process that I learned in my Law Through Literature course because it’s the most recent English course that I have recently taken, additionally, my professor explained the process a lot better than all my previous professors. Similar to the writing process described in the textbook, my professor required us to create an outline before working on our paper. She then required us to write a rough draft, and asked us to always remember to whom we were writing the paper for, and the purpose of our paper. Peer review was also part of our writing process, we gave our paper to a classmate and the person evaluated our paper to give positive feedback.

1. aremi.ruiz

Interesting Point
      The writing process that was taught in my Law through Literature course emphasized the importance of peer review. All our assignment required some form of peer review in order to get credit. What was very interesting is that the professor asked the class not to make any changes to the person’s paper, but to offer a written suggestion on a separate worksheet–to avoid plagerism.

6. mjimenez1993

Memo:
    To: Professor Ellis
    From: Miguel Jimenez
    Date: 3/4/15
    Subject: Writing your Draft
    When writing a draft you must always keep in mind that it’s just a draft it doesn’t need to be perfect, yet, it’s just a basic writing used to try and get out all your ideas. There are a couple of different strategies you can use while writing your draft. One method involves turning off your monitor and just typing, this way you don’t focus and go back on each error you make. This may be hard for some to do because we already have in mind to try to be good writers. Take breaks if you need to but remember to always try to stay on topic. Once you’ve finished writing your draft you can now go back and try to correct any mistakes and organize your writing to try and reach out to your audience. The audience is always important and should be kept in mind when you are summarizing your draft. Try to be sure you are writing in a way that they would understand don’t use big complicated words if your secondary audience won’t know what you’re taking about. Within my first 2 English classes at City Tech we were sort of given a similar process taught in the book. The class would have us read a story then write a draft. Our pears would then review it and give us feedback where we’d then write our final perfected draft.

7. alijaber

The first draft is a draft that no one else will read but you, so it doesnt have to be perfect because you will later revise the draft to make a final one. When writing your draft the most effective way to start and keep going is to use an outline as a springboard or map for your writing. The first draft is necessarily rough and unpolished so when you transcribe and expand the notes from your outline into paragraphs don’t worry about grammar, spelling or refinements of language. When writing your draft you have to focus on your audience and ask “what does my reader probably know?” And “what are my readers feeling about the subject?”.

8. Aaron Feng

MEMO
    TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Aaron Feng
    DATE: 03/4/15
    SUBJECT: Writing That Works, Ch 3, “Writing the Draft.”

Writing the draft is the first second step in becoming to write in a well written essay. Continuing of chapter 2 WTW, after you have finish your outline, you should be able to use your outline and the ideas you work up during the brainstorming process and began your writing from there. Before you began writing your draft, you must first ask yourself who is my audience, how should I approach my audience and what am I trying to say.

9. Mavis Xing Ye

MEMO
    To: Professor Ellis
    From: Xing Ye (Mavis)
    Date: 4 March. 2015
    Subject: “Writing the Draft”
    Summary:

Beginning of writing draft we should keep going to use an outline, brief or detail as a springboard and a map of our writing. Then we should considering to the audiences, and think of the subject from their perspective, in other word, we should writing from the audience’s point of view. Because when we focus on an audience’s mind, or catch whatever they have interesting in the writing, then we can get more attention from them, so that they will focus on the reading. Development strategies are that frequently used for developing ideas in workplace writing: explaining a process that tells how something works or how something happened. Describing information is explains how something looks or is planned to look. Defining terms and concepts is clarifies the meanings of ideas crucial to your topic. And finally, explaining cause and effect that is analyzes why something happened.

10. Sandra Jarro

MEMO
    To: Professor Ellis
    From: Sandra Jarro
    Date: March 4, 2015
    Subject: Summary of Chapter 2 “Writing the Draft”

This chapter talks about the main points of writing and outline or draft on your presentation. Begin your rough draft by outlining your most important facts and ideas, such draft that will create a map for your writing. When writing the outline make sure to keep your audience in mind because you will need specific ideas directed to each of them. The next step would be to develop strategies, such as explaining a process, describing information, defining terms and concepts, and explaining cause and effect. After all ideas have been written it’s time to write the opening of your paper. The opening can include the title of your report, your information or to whom it is directed too. As of your final paragraph, it should include your conclusion. A conclusion should tie up all your points together.