Project 3, Details

Post a copy of your individual episode details memo into a comment to this blog entry. Remember: We will only work on Project 3 during class on Wednesday and we will cover the next two chapters in Miller during Monday’s class.

6 thoughts on “Project 3, Details

1. MariahRajah

Title: The real estate of fear
    Pitch Phrase:

Purpose summary:

To: Professor Ellis
    From: Mariah Rajah
    Date: March, 13th 2016
    Re: Project 3 Memo – leading without fear

Dear Professor Ellis,
    For this project, I have presented to you and my classmates the topic of how fear influences the life choices we make. These choices either enable us to deal with that said fear or completely ignore them. For this podcast, I will be focusing on the fear of leadership in a professional aspect. Being that this project has to encompass a non-fictional storyline I believe that this would be a good topic to focus on. I have feared leadership even though over the years I have grown into assuming the position time and time again. The fear is still very much alive in me but every time I assume the role I have learned how to become a better leader.
    My take on episode in the collaborative podcast as mentioned will focus on how to deal with fear of leading. I will focus on three defining aspects which are as follows:

What makes a good leader?

This section of the podcast will list characteristics of some of my most influential leaders and how this defines what it means to a good leader.

Understanding Leaders fail too.

My biggest fear, and I believe all people when assuming a leadership role fear what is most inevitable: dropping the ball. In this portion of the podcast I will explore through interview how others have dealt with coping or fleeing from leadership roles because they did not want to feel the overwhelming guilt of letting everyone down. I will also explore my own thoughts on this area and explain how I have managed to deal with it.

5 ways to assume a leadership role and how to get the best possible experience out of this role.

This section will include researched material of what is the best way to approach a leadership role which will play off my own examples and experiences. This concluding section of the podcast will also elaborate on how I have managed to deal with fear of leading, what I have learned, and how I have become a better leader by facing my fears and accepting that I am a good leader.
    In executing theses three very important sections, I believe that the podcast will be able to effectively approach the subject of how to face fear in a leadership role whether in a professional or academic setting. Learning to be a good leader comes from practice and this podcast has the potential to help others assume that role and learn that their voice as a leader matters.

2. Samantha

Title: The real estate of fear
    Pitch Phrase: Evicting fear from your life

Purpose summary:

To: Professor Ellis
    From: Samantha
    Date: March, 14th 2016

Dear Professor Ellis,

What makes a good leader?

Understanding Leaders fail too.

3. jstephenson

Title: The real estate of fear

Purpose summary:

To: Professor Ellis
    From: Jodieann
    Date: March, 14th 2016

Dear Professor Ellis,

What makes a good leader?

Understanding Leaders fail too.

4. Pamela

Title: The real estate of fear

Purpose summary:

To: Professor Ellis
    From: Pamela Drake
    Date: March, 14th 2016

Dear Professor Ellis,

What makes a good leader?

Understanding Leaders fail too.

In executing theses three very important sections, I believe that the podcast will be able to effectively approach the subject of how to face fear in a leadership role whether in a professional or academic setting. Learning to be a good leader comes from practice and this podcast has the potential to help others assume that role and learn that their voice as a leader matters.n

5. Samantha

******CORRECT POST*****

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Samantha
    Date: 3/16
    Subject: Podcast breakdown

Change podcast :
    Change is something people sometimes have a problem coping with. Knocking things off the track or having them abruptly rerouted isn’t an easy hill to climb. However when you forget the courage and ability to climb obstacles no longer seem life changing.

Types of change:
    Change comes in many forms, personal being emotional or interpersonal or even physical. Professional change is another form of change that isn’t given much credit and that’s what I’ll be discussing today, how do you cope or understand that the goal you’d set yourself years ago is suddenly no longer an option.

Example/ My story:
    When I was a little girl I’d see these police shows like CSI Miami or Law and Order and I was fascinated. I was most in awe of Olivia benson who to me was a super bad ass cop. I idolized her and I wanted to be a police officer, more specifically a detective. So when it came time to consider colleges and career paths in high school I was immediately drawn to John jay college and their program to get into the police academy. I applied and to my surprise I got in first round. I was ecstatic and I couldn’t believe I was a few short years from my dream job. Life had other plans for me though. My first week of college I found out I was pregnant. Not only did I end up having a high risk pregnancy and having to withdraw from school I was forced to re-evaluate my career choice. Could I still be a cop? Yea probably. Should I be though? Probably not. The idea that I could loose my life in this line of work gave me the realization I couldn’t do it as a mother. I had to totally change my plans. But to what I had no idea. I tried a few other majors related to law enforcement but my heart wasn’t in it anymore so I dropped out. I was out of school for almost two years before I went back for business. My mom had pushed me to take the tax protest just to have something under my belt and to be honest I thought I’d hate it but I liked the business industry I liked making choices that affected the bottom line. I had found a second calling.

Tips/ Tools:
    Was it easy to find something else I was that passionate about ? No absolutely not. But what I would I tell someone in my shoes ? Be open to new experiences. Don’t sulk and knock everything people suggest to you. They’re suggesting it because they see your strengths, they may not all be for you but trying gives you experience a better view of the world and a Better understanding of yourself. Second I would say be patient with yourself. Figuring out who you are is a lifetime process and figuring out what you want to devote your life to doing takes time too. You might work a few dead end jobs while you’re figuring it out but as long as you’re moving its progress. And lastly I would say don’t forget you’re not the only person in this boat, reach out and ask for support. Having people who love and care about you are paramount to getting over obstacles.

6. Pamela

This project is about the fear of criticism.

To: Professor Ellis
    From: Pamela Drake
    Date: March, 14th 2016
    Re: Project 3 Memo – The Fear of Criticism

This project is about the fear of criticism. I will discuss what criticism is and how to overcome it by dealing with it in a positive way and turning it into something good.I will be focusing on criticism from a professional aspect.

As this is a collaborative effort, all the episodes will focus on the professional aspect of fear and attempt to have a cohesiveness to the episodes.

Beginning with a definition of criticism, I will discuss the barriers that many people encounter when dealing with criticism. I will refer to a research study that investigated criticism and what the research found. Then I will discuss the two types of criticism—constructive criticism and destructive criticism, what makes them different and what are the motivations for their approach.

I will discuss my personal struggle with coping with criticism and how it made me feel as a young person. I will discuss my challenges in Internalizing the feelings and how I overcame to be more professional and productive.

There will be two interview in the podcast where I will ask two people about their experiences of being criticized and how it made them feel. Then I will provide tangible solutions resulting from analyzing and evaluating the criticizer and the criticism.

I will conclude by reiterating that we have control over how we allow criticism to affect us and we should not be fearful.