Weekly Writing Assignment, Week 2

After watching this week’s lecture attentively and taking notes, proceed with the following Weekly Writing Assignment and additional homework that is due by our next lecture on Sept. 22 (see the schedule on the syllabus linked to the left for details).

For this week’s Weekly Writing Assignment, you are tasked with learning more about the jobs available in your field (e.g., Technical Writing, Computer Engineer, IT Professional, etc.–you should only investigate jobs relevant to the career that your degree is preparing you for).

Use monster.com to research what jobs are available in your field. Carefully read and take notes on the jobs that you find, including job titles, location, name of company, terminology used in the listing, required qualifications, work experience, and education, pay/benefits, and any other notable patterns that you observe.

TO: Prof. Ellis
FROM: Your name
DATE: 9/22/2021
SUBJECT: Job Research

Write one sentence about the purpose of the memo (e.g., "This memo describes what I learned while researching technical writing jobs on Monster.com.").

Write complete sentences in paragraph form about what you learned about the job listings. All of this should be in your own words. 

Your memo should be at least 250 words. That's the minimum for this assignment. More is certainly welcome as the more you write will help improve your writing skills.

After you’ve completed your memo, copy-and-paste it into a comment made to this post (click on the title of this post, “Weekly Writing Assignment, Week 2,” and then scroll down to the comment area–make sure that you are logged into OpenLab!). After you’ve pasted your writing, click on “Post Comment” to add your comment.

Also, you need to complete the following homework before Sept. 22. Complete the reading on the syllabus for Week 1 and Week 2, and create another document that you will save to use for our next class when we focus on the deliverables (i.e., documents) of Project 1: Job Search Portfolio. This document can be a list with headings identifying the different kinds of information:

• Create a new document that you will use as your personal job search database. 
  • List all of your educational, work, volunteer, certifications, and other experiences.
  • List your skills and abilities with details.
  • List your language skills.
  • List any awards and recognitions.
  • References (name, title, address, phone number, email address).
  • The more information that you can include, the better!
  • Be prepared to use this document when we return on Sept. 22.

You can also use this site that I built for all City Tech students called Job Search Advice and its video, sample documents, and links to learn more about the job application process.

3 thoughts on “Weekly Writing Assignment, Week 2”

1. Josef Rodriguez
    Professor Ellis
    ENG 1133 OL96
    13 September 2021

Memo
    To: Prof.Ellis
    From: Josef Rodriguez
    Date: 9/22/2021
    Subject: Job Research

The purpose of this memo is to describe what I learned while researching computer programming related jobs on Monster.com.

One of the first aspects I learned about the job listings is that many of them require you to

either have an associate’s or a bachelor’s degree as a requirement in order to get the job.

The second aspect I learned about these job listings is that many of them (including job

listings that are hiring software engineers) require you to have experience in either

software development or experience in computer programming language such as C, C++,

C#, etc. There’s also the requirement you need to have such as good communication skills,

hands-on experience, etc. A third aspect I learned from these job listings is that many of

them offer insurance of some sort. For example, CyberCoders and Revature both offer

medical, dental, and vision insurance. However, the big difference between these two

companies is that Revature has a heck of a lot more benefits such as paid time off, a life

insurance policy, relocation and housing assistance, a mentoring program and ongoing

support throughout your entire time working there and having an opportunity to gain

experience with the largest and most reputable companies in the US. The fourth aspect I

learned from these job listings is that many of them require you to have a strong

understanding of operating systems such as Linux for example.

In conclusion, I learned quite a lot from searching through these job listings such as

starting salary, the requirements of said jobs, benefits from working there such as health

insurance along with both dental and vision. Many of these jobs also required you to have

some form of higher education such as a high school degree (albeit with more experience)

whereas most of them require you to have an Associate’s or a Bachelor’s degree just to

prove that you have a ton of experience using these programs.

2. Memo
    To Prof. Ellis
    From: Victoria Gelfand
    Job research

While looking through the Monster app and reading what kind of work is available in New York City and in the surrounding areas
    I have discovered that there is not much of variety of jobs for me. What I mean by that, for being a single mother of three, to cover all the expenses for my family, I would need at least a bachelors degree.

Even though, I have experience working as a banker, for ten years, I am not being hired due to lack in my education. The company’s are interested in my resume, but can’t hire because the human resource department requires higher education.

What I have learned is that education is a must. So my journey is continues to complete my education.

3. TO: Prof. Ellis
    FROM: Anahi Cortes
    DATE: 9/22/2021
    SUBJECT: Job Research

The purpose of this memo is to describe what I learned while researching technical writing careers on Monster.com.

Monster.com provided lots of options in the Technical writing field. Majority of them were in New Jersey which can be good for those who have a means to travel or live there, but for someone who those who don’t, there really isn’t much of an option. I’ve also noticed how the majority would love to hire someone who has a bachelor’s degree and if not an even higher degree. This can indicate that they wouldn’t or aren’t willing to hire someone with a lower education. Which can be understandable looking at it from a logical standpoint. I’ve also noticed that you have to have at least 5 years of experience and at most 10 years of experience. These restrictions make it hard for those who don’t have enough experience but also can’t have a job that gives them experience in their field. Not to mention, even if you do have a lot of experience, they are more willing to look at your educational level rather than experience. I’ve also noticed not many companies provided benefits under the job listing. One won’t know what they are signing up for until they get the job. For example, paid sick leave, maternity leave, etc.,

These are a few things that stood out to me the most on this site specifically. Even so, it was extremely helpful. I have a more understanding of this career field and what it needs in order to pursue it.