Beginning of Class Writing, John Medina’s Brain Rules, “Sleep”

During the first ten minutes of class today, let’s continue your regular writing and summarization practice. In class, write a summary of your reading of the Sleep chapter from John Medina’s Brain Rules. After class, type up your summary, save it, and copy-and-paste it into a comment to this blog post. You have until class on Monday next week to complete this. As you write your summary, you can write about how the reading relates to things that you have experienced, learned, or read before.

19 thoughts on “Beginning of Class Writing, John Medina’s Brain Rules, “Sleep”

1. Vaswanie Cover

The Sleep Chapter on Brain Rules by John Medina basically speaks about people sleeping patterns and the negatives. For example, one person’s sleeping pattern was affected by insomnia and because of staying up so much, his pattern started to get worse. John Medina experimented on sleeping patterns by testing how long a person slept. He also spoke about Fatal Familial Insomnia which is one of the rarest human genetic disorders that exist. Symptoms: uncontrollable muscular ticks and jerks, experience fevers, tremors, profuse sweating, crushing feelings of depression and anxiety then finally, mercifully the patient slips into a coma and dies.

2. Bilal.Shadizai

In the chapter “sleep” John Medina emphasized on how sleep can affect our daily lives. According to Medina “The brain does not appear to be asleep at all”. This caught my attention because while we are sleeping our brain is unbelievably active. Sleep can affect our mood as well. When a person gets less sleep that person’s behavior becomes crucial, and mean. Sometimes in day times people want to sleep and take a nap that’s because the brain needs it. Our brain have two opposing sides which are called process C, and process S. Process C is desperately forcing a human to stay awake, while process S is desperately forcing human to go to sleep. I have experienced the effect of less sleep. One night I stayed up longer in order to finish a project for my high school economy class. I ended up getting only 2 hours of sleep. The next day I felt so tired and didn’t feel like talking to anyone. Throughout the day my feelings were getting worse and worse. That day I even got in a fight which could have easily be avoided. When I got home and slept for almost 10 hours my behavior became back to normal.

3. SandraG.

John Medinas chapter on Sleep starts off with an experiment to help show what can happen if you don’t get enough sleep. You go through hallucinations and sometimes leads to insomnia. Medina also mentions how when we sleep, our brains function more in order to help store memories. Sleep should be determined by the time you go to bed and your brain will know when to wake up by the amount of hours you spent. Naps also help improve our skills and sleep also is proven to enhance tasks we do on a daily basis. There was a rat experiment where the rats went to sleep and the scientist tracked or viewed their brain. They saw that the rats memory was replaying over and over in a rapid motion. If someone woke the rat up, the next day the rat wouldnt be able to remember what the maze was like.

4. chelsea

John Medinas chapter on Sleep starts off with an experiment to help show what can happen if you don’t get enough sleep.our brains need sleep to function more in order to help store memories. your brain will know when to wake up by the amount of hours you slept. John Medina experimented on sleeping patterns by testing how long a person slept. He also spoke about Fatal Familial Insomnia which is one of the rarest human genetic disorders that exist. this chapter was very interesting to me because I suffer from insomnia.

5. Shamani Patton

Sleep is definitely a necessity when it comes to living a healthy, functional life. I believe by reading the sleep chapter in John Medina’s book Brain Rules it is very important to get a good nights sleep, whether it be at night for 8-10 hours in the middle of the day for a 30-40 minute nap. You can become very insane and start hallucinating with the lack of sleep, an experiment was done to see if a guy could go 200 hours awake, although he stuck through it. The guy started to break down after the first 72 hours and started to get offensive to people around him. You can actually die from the lack of sleep, 20 families suffer with fatal familial insomnia, and it follows with mental health issues, beginning with fevers, tremors, or sweating. Then muscular jerks comes and depression. A person can actually become psychotic and give up, falling into a come and die. When we rest, our bodies are resting but our brain isn’t, it’s actually going to work. It can improve your memory, your alertness and ability to focus throughout the day.

6. MarcG

I like to sleep even though I did not do the reading because I don’t have the book I can Imagine What that chapter was like. I think the author was describing how sleep is important and how not having enough sleep can affect your behavior thoughts and reaction. I know when I get enough sleep. I know it because when I don’t I have a headache I move slow and I get angry fast. Sleeping is very important to the body from my understanding.

7. Angelica Vargas

In the “sleep ” chapter in brain rules written by John medina is giving real facts about sleep , including the positives & negatives . When a person sleep well you often to. E energetic and powerful meaning your mind is in a good powerful state ,loosing your normal sleeping hours will effect a person by making them want to catch up thought out the day. Loss of sleep hurts ,attention,executive function,working memory ,mood, quantitative skills ,logical reasoning,and even motor dexterity.some people need at least seven hours of sleep s night . The people that don’t get enough sleep usually suffers from insomnia. Humans only need four or five hours

8. nowshadhossain

In chapter “sleep”, John Medina explains every nook and cranny about the topic “Sleep” and how it affects our brain. There’s always a battle raging in your head between two armies. Each army is made of legions of brain cells and biochemical’s –one desperately trying to keep you awake, the other desperately trying to force you to sleep. Our body needs to sleep. But we don’t know how much sleep we need in exact. It depends on age, gender, pregnancy, etc. But while our body sleeps our brain still stays awake. In fact it never takes any break , it stays active as usual . And also we need to sleep , so that we can learn. If we don’t sleep enough, It could disrupt our attention, executive function, working memory, mood, quantitative skills, logical reasoning, and even motor dexterity . We should also consider to take a nap in middle of the day. Sleeping during that time for about half an hour can enhance anyone’s performance. One funny fact about sleep is we spend 1/3 of our lives only by sleeping!

(n.b: Sentence# 2,3,7 is quoted exactly from John Medina’s Brain Rules. He has all the rights, not me!)

9. Brandon Richardson

Sleep, It’s something every human in the world pretty much need’s in order to function through out the day and without it most would pretty much be cranky and not function right (Even with the power of coffee being in your system every morning). In John Medina’s “Brain Rules” in the chapter called “Sleep” he speaks about how sleep is essential to the body and brain, However the brain does not actually shut off while you are sleep but in fact still active as ever. Without sleep though the brain tends to not to work correctly and will not function like it usually should when you get more sleep. For example, You won’t pay attention as much in class or pretty much anywhere, Your memory won’t be much so in tact or even your mood will drastically change without getting enough sleep. Ironically we never really know how much sleep a person needs specifically. It’s something that can change as the days go on by within your life. But if you take a nap along the day the body tends to get more of a boost and improves the body and pretty much catches up on those hours of sleep that you happened to miss out on. Overall sleep is something that is vital to the brain and without it the brain won’t be able to function like it should be able to.

10. sher syed

In chapter “sleep” John Medina explained about the affects of sleep on our brain. He stated that our brain does not rest when we are sleeping even its more active while we are sleeping. When we are sleeping our brain repairs the damaged memory and help you memorize things that you gone through. He explained about the experiment on Trip about sleep. First 2 days he was normal without sleep but after that his behavior began to change and he began to get hallucinations. This shows that our brain and body need sleep to kill toxic electrodes in our brain and activating the neuron cells. They also performed experiment on a rat. They put the rat in the maze and let that rat solve the maze and they monitor his brain. After the rat got out of it and sleep they saw that the brain of rat had the same part active that were active while he was trying to get out of the maze. This shows that his brain was memorizing the maze. If you don’t sleep you can get sleep disorders like insomia.

11. Cisco Alers

When I was younger I was always told “sleep your brain needs rest” I have thought this all of my life. Until a few weeks ago. I find out that the brain is more active when a person sleeps. And that sleep is a constant never ending battle. Without curtain hormone you can either sleep forever or stay awake and not sleep ever. The reason why our brain is more active asleep then when we are awake is because it is processing what had throughout the day. If you don’t get enough sleep you wont be able to remember things that much, this would be a disadvantage if you’re taking a test or doing a job that involves memory.

12. Sasha

As we all heard basically our entire lives that sleep one out of the many key importance in our lives as human. We all hear that sleep is good for us and we should enjoy it while we can. Most of us, including me, want has much sleep possible but it seems impossible to get. Sleep can minimized by factors such as school, work, kids. In this case for me, it’s about my lack of managing my time for certain things, which leads to me not getting the amount of sleep my body need. From my person observation on myself, i’ve learned that my body requires the maximum of eight hours of sleep. No more and no less. If i get less than eight hours, i feel tired and have a lack of energy. Therefore, if i get more than eight hours of sleep, my body feels tense and heavy. But, it’s all up to me to actually get up and start my day after eight hours of sleep. You can save yourself a few bucks on buying a new alarm clock every time you accidentally drop it on the floor. However, because our bodies are our natural alarm clock, i can basically teach it when to go to sleep or even wake up without an alarm clock. Based on the reading in the “sleep” chapter, our sleep patterns can also be determined by your parents.They also change with age, gender, depending whether or not you’re pregnant or even puberty.Wouldn’t you think if you’re asleep that your brain would be too? Not likely. Our bodies are most active out of the entire day when we’re asleep. While you’re body is physically resting, your brain is extremely active. From sorting new information you learned in school to throwing away the useless information you learned while watching cartoons. This chapter had me thinking on many things i might be doing wrong when it comes sleep. Sleep is not just important to your bodies physical rest but it’s important to your brain’s development and functions.

13. Claribel

In John Medina’s “Sleep” chapter he speaks about sleep and how it effects the brain and how important it is to the brain. He says that even though we are sleeping the brain is at work. He says that the reason why we sleep may be so that we can learn. We spend one-third of our lives sleeping. A loss of sleep hurts attention, memory, mood, quantative skill, logical reasoning, and motor dexterity. So plain in simple, we don’t function the right way. We forget how to do simple everyday things. Our sleep amount changes with age, gender, puberty, pregnancy, etc. Napping is a way of your brain telling you that you need a break. It’s almost like a battle in your brain against two sides. One side trying to keep you awake and the other trying to force you to sleep. Napping may make you more productive. For example a 26 minute nap improved NASA pilots’ performance by 34%.

14. rahat ahmed

Rahat Ahmed
    10/4/15
    Prof. J
    English

Sleep

In this chapter of “Brain Rules” called “sleep” by Dr. John Medina states some very interesting facts about sleep. One statement that caught my attention the most is when Dr. John Medina said even “after all of these centuries of experience with sleep”, we as humans still don’t know how much of it we need in order to feel well rested. Some people might say 8 hours is good enough for them but others might say 5 hour of sleep is good enough for them.

Another interesting fact that caught my attention is that, sleeping schedule’s changes with age, gender and whether or not you are going through puberty. This really does apply to me because as I got older, I have been getting less sleep I usually don’t get more 5 or 6 hours of sleep per night. When I was younger I would try to sleep for at least 10 hours per night or else I would be very cranky the next morning.

Sleeping is very important because studies have shown that if you don’t get enough sleep and don’t feel well rested, there’s a possibility that you can develop ‘Insomnia”. Insomnia is very rare so for you to develop that shows that you need to sleep more and make sure that you feel well rested.

15. marcus.lamothe4

Its no secret that sleep is a very important part of everyday life. In the third chapter of John Medina’s “Brain Rules”, he goes over how sleeping could also make you think better and function properly as a person. Generally, sleep is kind of like a reset button for the human body because to be honest, we can be fully awake for 3 days and be perfectly fine. People require different periods of sleep, meaning that some would only need like 5 hours of sleep to be fully rested while the average time that everyone needs to sleep is 8 hours to be fully rested. John Medina stated that ” Loss of sleep hurts attention, executive function, working memory, mood, quantitative skills and logical reasoning”. In other words, sleep is very essential to all of us and therefore, we need to respect our bodies and our mind especially.

16. Emmanuel.C

John Medina, a molecular biologist who studies the brain is well known for his study on our brains. Medina studies the brain in heavy detail and all of his statements are facts. In the third chapter of his famous book title: “Brain Rules”, he talks about various different aspects and occurrences in regards to sleep, how important it is and how healthy it makes us. In the chapter titled: “Sleep”, he mentions a New York disk jockey named Peter Tripp and how he decided that he would stay up for a total of 200 hours. It was stated that the first 3 days, Tripp was completely fine and full of energy, but after those 72 hours Tripp started to exhibit crude behavior and started to lash out anyone who tried to help or get near him and eventually over time he started to hallucinate and go crazy until finally after the 200 hours ended he basically passed out. This example show us what a lack of sleep can do to us, it can cause us to go mad and not think rationally as we normally do.

17. JCal

For the chapter of sleep, John Medina starts off with an event that happened in 1959 where disk jockey Peter Tripp went 200 hours without sleep to raise money for charity, which he uses to show the problems with not having enough sleep. Medina then explains how the brain has two processes, the circadian arousal system and the homeostatic sleep drive. These two processes fight with each other to keep you awake,(circadian arousal system) or to get you to sleep(Homeostatic sleep drive). When you don’t get enough sleep you can end up with a loss in cognitive skill.

18. PrinceM

Sleep is very important to every person, or at least all of the people with brains. While the body sleeps, it recovers and recalibrates its natural functions and systems at a much faster rate then when it is awake. The brain is still working, attempting to solve problems it encountered while conscious. Neuron connections are rebuilt and rewound via dreams. To me the connection between brain health and sleep is obvious, because I know how it feels to be tired and to be well rested, and the latter is certainly preferable across the board. I get enough sleep most days, unless I am preoccupied. I remember my dreams some nights, but most of the time they are forgotten. Strangely, the dreams I “forget” sometimes feel like they come true, and give me a really odd deja vu feeling.

19. Jonathan Valverde

Sleep, the form in which the human body receives rest. As an individual i’m a fairly light sleeper, I will say I can stay up all day with about five hours of sleep. In the chapter ‘Sleep’ Medina talks about how sleep can affect the individual in a negative way but that there are those rare cases in which the person may sleep minimum and be wide awake just as if they have slept for the average eight hours. According to research conducted by nasa taking a nap for 26 minutes during the day can improve the brain. Overall sleep is a significant part of life and the human body which could dramatically affect a person in a negative way.