My Golden Age by Edinsson Pena

My name is Edinsson Pena and I am an Immigrant. I migrated from the Dominican Republic with my mother and brother to the U.S.A when I was ten. I did not know what kind of future would be in store for me if I left my country. Now that I am 19 years old and a legal citizen of the United States of America, now I understand life a little better. I currently attend to the New York City college of technology and my major is Electromechanical Engineering Technology. I wanted to talk about change and how it allows to me to overcome many obstacles. Some might argue that leaving family,items they own and comfort, would be a great start for new experience.I can truly say there are a couple of key points that lead me to where I stand now. The impact American society had on my life and some of the struggles I faced was very challenging yet thrilling.Years in high school and the great turning points in my academic life. My time as athlete during  high school shaped me in many different places in my life.

I will never forget why immigrated to America. All my family, old friends and a decent stable home all left behind. Americans might wonder , why would anyone leave behind everything they own ? My mother brought me to America to obtain more opportunities and to have a better education. However, in order to do that she had to spend a great amount of money. In addition to leaving her career and dreams behind for me. She knew that a great sacrifice needed to be done to achieve an extraordinary change in my life. The dream took course once the plane from the dominican  republic touched American soil. The effects of American society impacted my life during the time that I was enroll in the fifth grade in elementary school in brooklyn New York. I was the new kid and everything that I knew was about to change. When the first day of  school arrived that morning I was very excited. My elementary was not that far from my  apartment. During the walked to my destination I was very nervous , my palms were sweaty and  my heart was beating fast. Little did I know that more events were to come. When I got to the school’s lobby I was confused about where to go. I could not speak or understand English. Then someone came and helped me get to my class. My class was bilingual and everyone was hispanic, just like me. In middle of class some kids were being rude to me and even threw pencils at my head. When I was in my country other kids did not treat me with such disrespect. I did get along with kid in my county because they were interested in me and they want to form friendships or play around. Seeing how the other kids in the class who were just like me picked on me, I then realize this country was not just for the generous and humble but for scrafty

I struggled more ever since that day, things were just getting started. I notice that the only way I was going get out of my hell was by learning to speak, write and read the english language. The sad part is that I was horrible at those things in my own language. I started simple,  watched people have dialog and I try to repeating it. In addition, I watched television every channel was in english. The processes was long and hurtful , but it was worth it so I started to be more optimistic about my situation. The Key to succeeding anywhere in your life is to change and end the procrastination. I had to learn that in the long run during middle school.                                                           

Everyone faces a time where they have the desire to change their lives , due to an unfortunate event or situation. I had my greatest academic career during high school, but before I speak on the subject of success and great accomplishments, I will introduce my failures and struggle. The most difficult part of course is that great change comes with trial and errors. I need to see failure eye to eye in order for me to make the first step to dealing with following situation. During middle school I probably had the most terrible grades in my whole class. I notice that if I did not make changes and give the best of abilities in my academic life, I would get left behind that year. I can say it was struggle because I did not grasp  the language, so writing homework and reading books was very difficult. However, I try to the best of my ability. I manage to learned how read at a low English level , also my spelling when horrible to decently good . At the moment was serious I remember my mother coming to teacher and parent conference. I knew that the moment teacher  told I had 65’s my mother would lose it. I would get yelled at , but the worst happened at home where I would be punished. Basically, I started to seeking for help wherever I can find it. I begged professor for extra work to do. My failure and errors will come haunt me when is it time to make a life changing decision that in involves a new start. At least that is what I noticed. I had to face this truth when it was time to pick high schools. Due to my low average during middle school my options were very limited. When I received the paperwork to select my top choices of schools, I was excited about new turning point in my life and it was a turning point indeed. My top choice was lyons community school. I can still remember the day they arrived to recruiting and present their school. There were a couple good policies the high school had. The first being that the high school did not factor in your middle school grades. Second it was a small school, which was able to work with me more individually. Nevertheless, I choose that high school as my top choice and it impacted my life forever. During freshman year my English improve, But I had doubt whether I was going to be able to succeed or fail. However, I worked with a burning determination and faced challenges head on without any worries because my teacher would helped me to the very end. I was thankful that everyone wanted help and with extra support I was able to earn a honor roll certificate. I thought I was not  intelligent enough to earn such Accomplishment.  The only title I know is of “Hard worker”, I might not be the brightest student in the world ,but I can always Apply my determination and persistence where I go.  

Wrestling is an amazing sport. when students participate in sports it helps them focus on academic work and allows them to improve their time management skills. In addition sports and the different kinds  of conditioning  students need to so keeps them in excellent physical condition, so if students are in shape it would be more difficult for them to get sick . I remember when I was wrestler during high school and having a really complex scheduled. I did not having any time be to wasted. I had to do homework or projects and afterwards wrestling practice for two hours. Wrestling practice was always intense. At the end of each practice I was really tired. I just wanted to go home and take a relaxing shower, but at times I also had to focus on homework or sometimes even studying for that upcoming quiz the next morning. I can honestly say that wrestling made me more persistent, also I was able to endure more challenging events in my academic life and outside of it. There was a time where I had study for the English regents and I had practice right after that. While I was running on the treadmill I was remembering essay  layouts, thinking about how to save time and the best course of action. Furthermore, I need to Acquire at least a 65 , since the first time I took it I failed after scoring a 55. Thanks to my couch and hours of homework help I was able to score a 68, so wrestling allow me to focus on my studies more than ever before. During my senior year of school I notice that I had learned how think to more critically and work with more determination under pressure or stress.

Life is all about making changes , going through trials/errors and facing new challenges without change there would not be any growth. I always hear my generation use the phrases like  “I can’t change” or “I stay the same no matter what”. In my opinion those phrases are very Ignorant and not very edifying to their own lives or other around them. I have observed  people around me and I noticed that they hate routines, so they must make a  small change within the cycle of boredom to live life with enjoyment. This small changes can range from take a different route while going home or even one of great magnitude like becoming more social with others. While living in America, I learned that I had to become an ambitious man that is always kind-hearted, understanding and have self-confidence to not only survive but to live a successful life. In my major Electromechanical Engineering Technology changes are fundamental to fixing a calculation to resoldering a different component. Change builds character and maturity. Changing promotes success and gives you new views in every aspect of someone’s life.