All About This Course

ESTATES, TRUSTS AND WILLS

Course Description (from the NYCCT catalog)

3 cl hrs, 3 cr

A basic overview of estate terminology, the jurisdiction of Surrogate’s Court and estate administration procedures. The fundamental law of wills, trusts and estates, as well as the preparation of the basic legal documents in each of these areas.

Prerequisite: LAW 1201/LS 201

Text:

Wills – Structure, Design and Settlement under NYS Law,by Hegler and Loughrey

(Looseleaf Law Publications, Inc)

Course Objectives and Assessment:

Upon successful completion of this class, a student will:

DISCIPLINE-SPECIFIC  STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES:

1. Be able to apply the New York laws of intestacy to decedents’ estates.

*Assessment via preparation of intestacy charts exercises.

1. Know the substantive New York laws on wills and be able to participate in a will execution ceremony with understanding of the legal requirements.

*Assessment via Will Execution videotape exercise.

3.  Be able to analyze and draft will clauses.

*Assessment via Estate Plans of the Rich and Famous exercise and Will Drafting exercises.

4.  Know the substantive New York laws on trusts and be able to analyze trust clauses.

*Assessment via Estate Plans of the Rich and Famous exercise

5.  Be able to prepare the documents necessary to initiate probate and administration proceedings in New York Surrogate’s Courts.

*Assessment via Document Preparation exercises.

GENERAL EDUCATION STUDENT OUTCOMES:

1.  “use the arts as a forum for the study of values, ethical principles and the physical world”
  2. “communicate in diverse settings and groups, using written (both reading and writing), oral (both speaking and listening) and visual means”
  3. “demonstrate expanded cultural awareness and sensitivity”
  4. “discern multiple perspectives”
  5. “gather, interpret, evaluate and apply information discerningly from a variety of sources”
  6.  “work with teams, including those of diverse composition, build consensus”

Assessment of General Education Student Learning Outcomes will be via Dearly Departed memo rubric, Blog Contribution rubric and Cooperative Learning rubric

*Additional assessment will be made via quizzes, a midterm and a final examination.

Grading:

Your grade in this course will be calculated as follows:

Homework/Quizzes        = 30%

Midterm Examination    = 30%

Final Examination                   = 40%

Please note that I do not offer make-up quizzes in this course.  If you miss a quiz, you will receive a zero for that quiz.  If you take every quiz, I will drop the lowest quiz grade in calculating your final grade for the course.  You MUST turn in every single homework assignment on time to succeed in this course! There are serious penalties for late assignments.

You will have an opportunity to earn a modest amount of extra credit by touring the Metropolitan Museum of Art with me on a Saturday afternoon at the end of April.

Mandatory Academic Integrity Policy Statement:

Students and all others who work with information, ideas, texts, images, music, inventions, and other intellectual property owe their audience and sources accuracy and honesty in using, crediting, and citing sources. As a community of intellectual and professional workers, the College recognizes its responsibility for providing instruction in information literacy and academic integrity, offering models of good practice, and responding vigilantly and appropriately to infractions of academic integrity. Accordingly, academic dishonesty is prohibited in The City University of New York and at New York City College of Technology and is punishable by penalties, including failing grades, suspension, and expulsion. The complete text of the College policy on Academic Integrity may be found in the catalog.

Attendance Policy

PLEASE NOTE THAT I STRICTLY ENFORCE OUR DEPARTMENT’S ATTENDANCE POLICY.  IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO NOTIFY ME IF YOU COME TO CLASS LATE.  IF YOU DO NOT NOTIFY ME, YOU WILL BE MARKED ABSENT!  IF YOU MISS A CLASS, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO GET THE NOTES AND ASSIGNMENTS YOU MISSED.

Office Hours:

I encourage you to speak to me concerning any questions, comments or concerns you might have.  My official office hours are on Mondays  from 4:00 PM until 5:55 PM and Wednesdays from 5:05 PM until 5:55 PM.  I am usually in my office (in N622) at most other times as well and you are welcome to come see me whenever I am there.  You do not need an appointment!  If you need to call me, our Department’s telephone number is (718)260-5124.  Of course, you can always email me via Blackboard as well! On weekdays I will try my best to return your email very promptly.  PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ANY HOMEWORK TO ME WITHOUT PRIOR APPROVAL.  I delete all unsolicited work emailed to me and you will not receive credit for submitting it.

Further “Donsky Rules” on leaving an on-going class and other matters

Of  classroom etiquette will be discussed on the first day of class.