Extra Credit (The statue of the American Revolutionary War Hero, General Comte de Rochambeau)

On August 12th, 2016, it was the day of my and my mom’s birthday, so we’ve  decided to go to my favorite place Washington D.C. with our family. I have taken this picture of my mother standing near the statue of the American Revolutionary War Hero, General Comte de Rochambeau. First of all, I really thought this statue was very fascinating, because the street we reside is named after General Rochambeau and therefore, I wanted to know more about him instantly. Though, the statue had mere amount of information about General Rochambeau such as his birthday and date of his death, also the date when they placed this statue.

Furthermore, I went to do some research online to know more about him. General Comte de Rochambeau was born in 1725 and died in 1807. His statue was placed in Lafayette Park, Washington, D.C., and the statue was a significant symbol of the official relations between France and the United States. According to the site, “France wished to erase any perception arising from the war that it held anti-American sentiments.” “Rochambeau Statue.” National Parks Service. U.S. Department of the Interior, n.d. Web. 25 Mar. 2017. This statue was built in 1902 and finally on May 24, 1902 President Theodore Roosevelt and the congress and others have dedicated the Rochambeau statue to be placed at the southwest corner of Lafayette Square. 

In all, I was much honored to go to my favorite place Washington D.C., I have seen the beautiful White House and several statues and amongst all I dearly liked General Rochambeau’s statue. His statue represented peace and harmony amongst two strong nations France and America and it also showed that America is very welcoming to all nations by placing this statue of Rochambeau.