Event Blog #1

The event I attended was a meet up at CityTech called creative meetup with Chris Do. The event was a way to connect with people in the graphic design industry and it was a great way to ask him questions about all things related to the industry such as what to charge clients for a project, a logo, or whatever work you are doing for them. It was mostly him taking questions in succession from students and anyone who was a graphic designer who wanted answers to their questions.

He has a great blog/company called “The futur”, and is obviously very successful at what he does and I can tell he is someone with lots of experience in the industry and felt the information he provided was very valuable.

One thing that really stuck in my mind was his emphasis on being good at one thing. Do one thing really well. Specialize and you will be that guy that is known for that thing. This really makes a lot of sense to me, and reminds me of people who try to try to know and do everything but in actuality aren’t really good at any specific thing.

Another thing I found interesting was how he went into detail about his method of charging clients, and which was better. Do you charge by hour or by the project, and it makes sense why he chose to say by the project because your skills are constantly improving and getting better and faster. so charging by the hour may be selling yourself short.

It was also interesting to hear questions about his time spent dedicating his college years to design and all the hard work he put was very inspiring. The room was full of graphic designers and that is always a good thing to hear their experiences in how they accomplished their goals. Being around others who are starting out in graphic design is also interesting to see.