Who I Am!

Hellooo My name is Fatou M. Gaye

As a young girl, I always knew what I wanted to do or say, but, I was scared to speak up in front of people. I deeply cared about other people’s opinions. In Senegal, being shy was a sign of respect towards adults. Children are taught to lower their stare when they look at an older person. When I came to the U.S.  I was reticent towards people. I was not used to the way they interacted. But as time went by, I realized that I would have to adapt, change, and mold myself. I was not exactly sure how to do that. But, I was sure that I needed to figure it out. I realized that I needed to share my ideas and show people who I was. I had to get out of my comfort zone. I needed to find my voice. Singing was something that helped me a lot. I push myself to perform on stage and also acting which really help plus I’m a big fan of Disney and musical shows…

I choose this major so that I can play a role in someone else’s life. Anything that can add value it doesn’t matter how, I always wanted to help and influence people. So I really hope for this to be the right path for me.

3 thoughts on “Who I Am!

1. Hello Fatou Gaye I understand your shyness and I was a singer too in my high school I was in women choir but the fact that you had the courage to stand on stage alone to act or sing takes courage. Which you have more than me because I could never do that alone I believe you will leave an imprint in someone’s life no matter if it’s one person or two you will have helped greatly.

2. Hey Fatou! I can relate to you being shy and scared to speak up in front of people. I was like that for a very long time until I pushed myself out of my bubble. I’m glad that you found a way to break out of it! I’m not a singer but I did play violin in high school so I understand how being on stage and performing helped you. I believe you’re on the right path and I can’t wait to see how this semester changes you as you continue to grow!

3. Helloooooo Fatou, thanks for your post! Especially for sharing your experience as a young girl and after you came to the US. Yes, you definitely need to share your ideas! Because they are brilliant. I hope you’re enjoying our course! Prof. C.