Topic Six: Food Engineering

Michael Pollany writes about potatoes he grew for a year that he won’t be able to replant and grow again the following year. He explains how expensive and dangerous to our health farm grown products are. According to Poland, farm grown products take longer and feed less people than his and even though growing his crop is expensive as well, it will produce more to feed more and it will be safer to ingest. To portray the look of engineered foods it may be best to have the potato look as if it is in a science lab or make it look a little abnormal.

When I think of Idaho potatoes I think of fresh food, rich soils and green fields. So, for this picture I would like to bring as much of that forward as possible.

Taking the pictures of the Potatoes was fun. It was interesting to see the different ways you can position or manipulate the potato for the photos. Figuring out which background and surrounding for the look we wanted was difficult but learning there could be so many options made the process worth it.