- Warm Up Activity
- Discuss the Reading Nuts & Bolts Ch 2
- Student Presentations of Homework Assignment 1 (Getting to Know You) PART 2
Students have 5 minutes to present: a. Select 2-3 works from 3 artists that are a major influence on your work, or whose career you admire. b. Select 3 of your best pieces of artwork to discuss. c. Please be prepared to speak about how you were influenced, and how that influence is manifested in your current work and what you want to do in this industry.
- 10-minute Break
- Discuss Project 1
- LECTURE Visual Metaphor (PDF in Resources)
- MUDDY COLORS
- LECTURE Photo Reference IN ILLUSTRATION (PDF in Resources)
- 10-minute break
- Studio – Work in class on Editorial Illustration
- Introduce Illustration Heroes Google Doc
DUE NEXT WEEK
- PROJECT 1 – Sketches (SEE PROJECT BRIEF)
- Begin Illustration Heroes Google Doc (See Below)
- Continue your Sketchbook. Play with Personal Style and imagery. Consider what kind of work you’d like to be hired to make. DRAW THAT.
- Read: Nuts & Bolts Chapter 3
- Read: MUDDY COLORS – Artist Selfies Everybody’sDoing it, Lauren Panepinto
- Read: STYLE – Inside the Business of Illustration, by Stevan Heller & Marshall Arisman
- If you have not already done so, Join OPENLAB & share your EPortfolio.
- DISCUSS the readings – in Week 3 Discussion on Course Profile
- Come next week ready to WORK IN CLASS on your project.
*Create a Google Doc to track the information you learn from researching these hero illustrators.*
Include things like:
- Client List
- Art Directors
- Markets they work in (Books (Children’s, Sci-Fi, etc., Editorial Illustrations, Advertising)
- Specific Themes or Subjects they are known for (Political, Dark, Sports,Etc.)
- Specific Techniques? Hand Lettering for example
THIS WILL BE AN ONGOING PROJECT