A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

“Research Starts with a Thesis Statement” from Bad Ideas about Writing

When I was a child I was always fascinated by the idea of astronomy. I loved looking at planets and the universe through books and/or media. My curiosity had run wild raising questions like, how did that planet form? We can’t be alone in this expansive universe? It’s beauty and mystery engulfed me as I decided that I wanted to be an Astronomer when I grow up. It was fun thinking about what new and exciting things I may learn about our own planet or how other planets in the Solar System was formed. However, currently, I am not interested in the topic of astronomy as I questioned what was needed and/or requirements to have in that field. As my education increased unfortunately my dream eventually diminished as I realized what was needed for such a difficult career. I could say that the educational system in fact helped me as it made me realize it’s necessities.  I personally despise the entirety of Algebra/Math.  Although I still try my best in class regarding that topic the end goal usually ends up unsatisfying when solving math-like problems. Realizing that astronomy uses very complex mathematical equations, frequently using the term, “Quantum” I would not be able to enjoy what I love about the universe and its beauty. It was the difficulty of how Math would eventually become too complex for me to comprehend. I don’t remember specifically when I began losing interest but it was probably sometime in school as I questioned the needs for it. Instead what I eventually became interested in was Film/Video production. Rather than learning the complexity of the planets and the universe, I can represent it through visuals and spectacles in any form of media through a screen for anyone who would truly want to become an astronomer.

1. Adriana Larreinaga

Yes Math can be very difficult, I sometimes struggle with it. But I wonder how did you become interested in Film/ Production? What were some of the factors that drag you to that interest?

2. Cesar Perez

I find it cool that at a young age you found the solar system an interesting topic, personally I found that topic boring and it made me drowsy as a result. Furthermore I admire how you want to help others discover a passion in astronomy for those that actually want it.