“Very few writers really know what they are doing until they’ve done it. Nor do

they go about their business feeling dewy and thrilled. They do not type a few stiff

warm-up sentences and then find themselves bounding along like huskies across the

snow.”

Writers never truly know what content they are going to put out. They just go with the flow.
“The first draft is the child’s draft, where you let it all pour out and then let it romp

all over the place, knowing that no one is going to see it and that you can shape it

later. You just let this childlike part of you channel whatever voices and visions

come through and onto the page.”

This quote made me visualize , when a kid is doodling or playing games/toys , kids naturally start out doing absolutely anything that they feel like doing in the moment , if they are doodling , its always scribbles or something close to their favorite animal, to us adults , is garbage , but to them its their masterpiece and their biggest accomplishment. They follow their own mind and heart , they let their creativity flow through them, and thats why i think Anne Lamont described it as a “child first draft”
“I would eventually let myself

trust the process — sort of, more or less. I’d write a first draft that was maybe twice

as long as it should be, with a self-indulgent and boring beginning, …”

Trusting yourself is key , when it comes to being a writer.
“For me and most of the other writers I know, writing is not rapturous. In fact, the

only way I can get anything written at all is to write really, really shitty first drafts.”

Writers , write at least 5-10 shitty first drafts. Some start off with just a sentence , others may have one paragraph. Truth is writer’s block sucks.