A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Research Question

My interest on this topic began when I first interacted with an atheist face to face. I always perceived belief in a creator as a self evident truth and something every single person believes in. In the beginning, this ideology felt somewhat intimidating because when you interact with people of other faiths you have similarities between them and your religion, the most apparent similarity is the belief in a Creator, of course by leaving aside the characteristics of that Creator. When interacting with atheists it seemed that you did not have much to talk about or to relate to because they deny the main premise that a God exists. So that is when my interest in studying the atheist worldview began. I haven’t completely delved into to this topic and I hope to learn more through this research with the research question being “Why do people deny a Creator?”
By conducting my research I expect to find arguments from both sides about denying and affirming that a Creator exists. Also to be fair in analyzing what both parties have to say. I also expect to find counterarguments from both sides and observe how they respond to each other’s arguments. I hope to find out what other ideologies do atheists subscribe to and what do they feel their purpose in life is. Is it just to life life to the fullest or they have some other goals to pursue? I also hope to reach a certain conclusion by conducting this research and not merely presenting views from both sides.
I am open to everything that challenges my assumption of belief in a Creator being a self evident truth. If I find information that goes against this assumption I will definitely challenge it and will research further into this matter.
In the digital era, genres like Youtube and internet forums might be very helpful and there are many debates between both sides on these platforms. Although there is a downside which is that anyone could write whatever they want on internet forums without having any credibility but I will still try to use good sources. In regards to Youtube I have seen some prominent Athiest figures have debates and discussion with theists and hope I can find accurate information from this platform. Of course, books and articles are a top priority and I hope to gain accurate information from them in order to craft a successful research paper.

1. Lisa Cole

Mahmudur, your draft introduction is excellent and your responses to the questions posed are carefully considered and planned. I also like the genres you have presented.