A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

“A Talk to Teachers” by James Baldwin.

In the context of “A Talk to Teachers” what James Baldwin means more daring, more beautiful and more terrible, in a larger world is that every human being deserves to know the truth in how man is made in society and what we sacrifice in order to become civilized. How shall we perceive these societal standards? I believe James Baldwin wants us to determine from what’s right from wrong from this beautiful yet dangerous world. Emphazing, “the world is larger” would mean it is deeper than what the surface appears. On the outside viewing Earth from a distance it looks to be a beautiful perfect planet. Rich in life. However we know that inner conflicts intertwine with each other in the inside. War, poverty, racism etc. James Baldwin wants us to acknowledge these terror’s and embrace the beauty of what comes of it. The meaning of a person’s life and what it means to have free-will. To have the “neccessity” to learn more should always be normal as us human beings are naturally curious. They should be able to learn the truth and decide for themselves of what’s right and wrong.  From what I wish schools have taught us the values and the importance of life and the struggles we may encounter, either mentally, physically, or financially. As James Baldwin states that everyone derserves the truth then different perceptions of the world are inevitable. From what I want to know is how these pereceptions of the world makes us so different yet having the similar morals. We all want good in the world but how to obtain it can come in a variety of ways. Many sacrfices and negatives to reach that positive goal. However, would it really be worth it then? I wish school would elaborate this idealogy more as humans are very complex and intersting being.

1. Cesar Perez

Your writing holds a lot of true deep meaning, the world is a beautiful place but despite that it is also a ugly place as well. To discover who we are, we need to go through many different experiences and that varies by person. I agree that schools should focus more on developing us mentally and allow us to ask more questions to expand on interests that we may have, especially at a young age.