In the excerpt, “A Talk To Teachers”  when James Baldwin talks about American History he’s referring to how scuffed out books are. It’s all whitewashed and they hide things to preach white supremacy to students without knowing. So much more has happened that they don’t cover in the books just like how in the real world, it’s so much bigger than what we see. I believe the purpose of this excerpt is to inform the reader of the system in America which is to work against people of color to create a system of equality. Baldwin talks about an African American living in the ghetto neighborhood in which he is forced to live, in contract to the friendlier environment to where he can’t even get to. As this child gets older and becomes capable of better understanding he’s going to start question why the better things in life aren’t for him. As this child gets even older and starts to develop awareness, anger will start to grow within him, turning into rage and hate because there’s no other way to express his emotions. This child now understands why his mother is working so hard, why his after is always on the edge.  Throughout the excerpt, Baldwin argues that the white man is taught from childhood that their ancestors were heroic individuals who came to America and the African American people were slaves for the white people and I agree with him. Throughout my years of learning history, I would always hear the blacks were slaves for the white people. The white people had all the money and all the land. I can’t remember a time where my teacher ever said a black man had power. The only person I know was Martin Luther King and he was someone I learned about outside of school. Something I wished I was taught in school was race and gender equalities. I never learned in school about race and gender equalities. I wanted to learn about this topic because it’s something I didn’t have a lot of knowledge on. I had to learn about them on my own and I also had a group of friends to talk about it too. It’s just sad to think that students aren’t being taught about race and gender equalities in school. Now in 2020 race and gender equality is mainly what’s going on. We have different communities coming out protesting for equality and I believe that the future generation will learn about these protests and have an understanding of equality and that no matter what color and gender you are, we should all be treated the same.