TEXT/QUOTE THOUGHTS
I spend a great deal of my time thinking about the power of language – the way it can evoke an emotion, a visual image, a complex idea, or a simple truth. Language is the tool of my trade.

Page 1

I without a doubt agree to this, as I believe language, the use of words hold power. The way you write/speak convey a variety of things, which can evoke an array of emotions. There is a reason why the First Amendment, Freedom of Speech is so important.
It has become our language of intimacy, a different sort of English that relates to family talk, the language I grew up with.

Page 1

I find that it is quite common for immigrant families to have different ways of communicating compared to the regular norm -grammar that is not particularly proper but works when speaking to family and close friends and using words from different languages to create a sentence to express feelings.
Like others, I have described it to people as “broken” or “fractured” English. But I wince when I say that.

Page 2

I think many first-generation Americans realize that their parents and/or grandparents who immigrated from their home country, do not speak English as perfectly as they do. There is a negative connation regarding it, and it may be hard to admit since it may lead to troubles when doing certain tasks. As a child that can acknowledge, the struggles and hardships that my family has gone through, I find it irritating to explain that people who are bilingual/multilingual can understand what is being said, but may not be able to properly form grammatical correct sentences and may not use the correct adjectives when responding in certain situations.
Fortunately, I happen to be rebellious in nature and enjoy the challenge of disproving assumptions made about me.

Page 3

Being rebellious and challenging assumptions about one person is a good way to discover about oneself to some extent. It is important to not let opinions affect all your life choices. Exploring the unknown is what helps you improve.