A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Unit 3 proposal

In my proposal I want my audience to be targeting younger generations since they are future of our next generation. I want younger kids in high school and middle school to really understand why we shouldn’t pay for water. The genre I chose was to do a a magazine and really use a interesting forum to gravitate the younger generation to read it . The best thing a teacher could do is also give it to their students the magazine so they are fully interested in the topic and that they educate themselves more. The way I plan on getting started is first making the cover so it can give me a flow of ideas and then it will be 5 pages a intro and bunch of pictures and then the other 4 I can use some of the entries information and include it so it can include reliable sources . On each page it could be a short paragraph like 300-400 words and then a picture and a question to ask them every-time they change the page.  The only thing im worried about is not being able to make it that interesting because for the younger generations , an issei’s like water prices means nothing for them because for the most part they aren’t living on their own and paying those bills, they have their parents proving for them . I hope I can make it seem like its them paying for it by including a scenario and letting them decide if this sounds good or not . Thats my only concern other than including nice pictures that gravitate younger generations of people.

1. Lisa Cole

Sounds good, Frora!

2. Cindy

I think your choice to write an interactive magazine is a good way to keep your readers interested. Will your question be multiple choice, testing the reader on what they have read? Or will it be open ended for the reader to interpret the text in their own way? By including a scenario where they imagine that they are paying for bills is a great way for them to consider the perspective of someone who doesn’t have access to clean water. Thinking about being in a position not being able to afford a necessity like water is something they’ve probably not worried about. Using a teacher to help educate your audience is also a great idea, keeping magazines in classrooms would be easy and kids would have access to it during school hours. I think maybe incorporating fun facts into the magazine would also help students remember information along with the photos you will put.

3. mariam traore

Hello Frora, so in your proposal I see that you want the younger generation to be your main audience. And you plan on doing this as a magazine genre, I think that a pretty good way to write your essay, yet trying to get the younger generation to read period is tough to do but I think with this approach they might give in a bit. Even if your audience is the younger generation, if the older generation read they might be able to pass it down to the younger generation. To grab the younger audience attention I think you should clickbait your title because that’s one thing the youth usually always fall for. And your question or your prompt is quite eye catching even as I was reading. I was like “woah” because paying for water is universal. It’s not only in America, so I’m interested to see how you’re going to use your evidence to support your claim.

4. Jamal

I think your choice to write a magazine is a good way to keep your readers interested. The idea of using a magazine is great but the audience that you are try to reach will be hard. I believe that it will be hard to get to them. I don’t think so many children at a young age will be interested in paying for water. I would consider aiming for parents. This is because they could pass down the same knowledge that you are giving to them to their children. Also this can also work for teacher. The magazine can be used by teacher in classroom. By adding material in the magazine like fact and little activity then could be attracted to wanting to gain more information about the topic .

5. Eimon

I think your choice of writing style is very productive. It’s a interesting way to keep your readers attention and keep the reading short. The genre you choose was a perfect idea because its hard to grab attention specially of younger kids because they don’t like to read too much. Magazine is different approach that is very few people do it to get the kids attention also using magazines and picture in it will be a great way to keep your reader interested. The one thing you worried about is being able to make the magazine interesting I feel like if you add lot of data and graphs of the water bill in different categories also keeping it simple will help your magazine to be more interesting. Younger readers don’t usually like to read a lot they are into simple graph and pictures which interest them more then the reading. Also paying for water is a interesting topic because there isn’t much controversy about paying for water therefore I feel like your magazine will be interesting if you execute all your writing strategy correctly

• Eimon