A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Week 7 Assignment Blog Post

Why does anti-homeless architecture pose as a problem for the homeless globally?

As the global population continues to grow and cities become more urbanized, homelessness tends to follow and increase in numbers. It is estimated that there are about 150 million people homeless globally. (This number does not include people who do not have adequate housing though, which has been estimated to be at 1.6 billion in 2015.)

I am interested in this topic because I think everyone is entitled to shelter, having a roof over their head. It is proven that living with a roof over one’s head can affect one’s decisions and the outcome of their life. The homeless population are people who get overlooked in society. Most people try to stay as far as possible, limit contact with one if seen and tend to not bat their eye. As the rest of the world continues to isolate the homeless population, it creates a more hostile environment for them. Anti-homeless architecture creates unsafe surfaces for the homeless population and causes inconveniences to the general population and nature. The anti-homeless architecture emphasizes the negative stigmas of the homeless, and shines light upon the government’s downfalls on how they are combating homelessness.

I expect to find reasons of both why people support and do not support anti-homeless architecture. I do think I will find many comments of people stating that they have overlooked anti-homeless architecture. More research will provide me insight on how this kind of architecture may or may not have benefited one’s life. I also expect to find many comments relating anti-homeless architecture to the state/city government and federal government, such as how/why the government is or is not doing enough to help.

Information that is found to go against what I had expected will be carefully considered and most likely be used in the essay to showcase both sides of the argument. Despite having my own opinion regarding anti-homeless architecture, I think it would be best to stay open-minded and consider a neutral standing when researching.

Genres that I am considering to be good potential sources are articles, global statistics from renowned global organizations and hopefully video interviews of people expressing their thoughts on anti-homeless architecture. Interviews with people affected by anti-homeless architecture can provide a firsthand account, which can help myself and the reader understand their view(s). Global statistics reports provide information such as measuring increases/decreases in homeless population and how one can help the homeless population.

1. Lisa Cole

Cindy, this is an excellent first draft of your introduction that covers the subject well. You have a nice range of genres to choose from.