A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

“A Talk to Teachers” by James Baldwin.

A talk to teacher by James is a document about racism and segregation.  “I would try to make [the student] know that just as American history is longer, larger, more various, more beautiful and more terrible than anything anyone has ever said about it, so is the world larger, more daring, more beautiful and more terrible, but principally larger – and that it belongs to him. I would teach him that he doesn’t have to be bound by the expectations of any given administration, any given policy, any given morality; that he has the right and the necessity to examine everything”. James Baldwin was saying  american history has been around long and it’s beautiful but there is a lot of untold hidden history that involves a lot of people who live with it and it was terrible. Every beautiful history has a negative side to it. When James Baldwin said the word larger he meant new ways to be thought about history and more educational subjects. Nowadays we barely learn about any important subject that will help us in the future more people are turning into their own teachers and finding new ways to learn about stuff. I wished that we learned more about new ways of real life skill. They should teach us more of how to start our own business and ways to get more money to become successful in the future like expectation all etc. Also school should teach us more about future technology. I’m really interested to learn this topic because I want to start some business and other future goals which school doesn’t teach you how to start. You have to search and start from scratch. If school taught us these way earlier we would be ahead of our goals and complete them faster. This way we can work on more goals. 

1. Leon Sukhdeo

I also wished that we learned more about real life skill during our school years. If we were taught ways to become successful in life and how to start a business or even how to bake a cake it will save us a lot of time wouldn’t make us feel like we have a heavy weight on our backs.