A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Research starts with a thesis statement / Schools killing curiosity assignment

“Schools are killing children’s curiosity, Why we need to stop telling our children to shut up and learn”.  Schools today are not making students feel like they should be asking the teachers questions. Children should be encouraged to ask the teachers questions not be fearful. studies show that pupils who ask more questions get better results. Kids with questions about things that interest them are being told to forget about it and to focus on the curriculam that the school has laid out for them. There was a study of 6,200 kids and it showed a few things that we are going to discuss. Children are born curious, on average kids between 14 months and 5 years old ask about 107 questions an hour. Often kids like to copy adults and we see as they get older they stop asking questions now partly that’s due to having more basic knowledge but also because the teachers tolerate it less and often ignore the questions however the article in which i have gotten my information from does not fault the teacher and says that they have a specific academic target that they have to meet, and are pressured immensly to do so. In fact as children reach High School its shown that the higher graded students ask less questions as seemingly asking the teachers challenging questions might annoy them and cause a lower grade subconsquently. I can’t really recall a specific topic i was interested in as a child so i myself cannot really testify as to what role the educational system played in developing my interest but im sure you the reader can think of a specific case of a particular topic that interested you as a child and how you might feel about that now. to close off this essay i agree with the article that the educational system can use some type of reform and think that is going to be the topic of the next big essay given that the previous assignment was about (a talk to teachers)

1. Leon Sukhdeo

I agree with your view on the educational system. I can also connect with what you said towards the end. Even tho you can’t remember a specific event, I do. I remember during my math class in 7th grade the teacher went over a problem and other students was asking questions several times about the problem and that’s because it was a hard topic and we wanted to fully understand the topic. After the teacher answered everyone’s question I then raised my hand to ask a question and my question wasen’t even about the problem. Within a second after raising my hand he told me to put my hand down and he won’t be answering questions anymore and we’re moving on. Again I agree with your view on the educational system and there needs to be a change!

2. Jamal

I agree with your point. The eduction system need to be change to help the student more.