Quote 1:  “My mother was in the room. And it was perhaps the first time she had heard me give a lengthy speech, using the kind of English I have never used with her.” -Page 1

I can relate to this quote. My mother has never heard me read a professional paper or has never read any professional papers that I have created. The reason why is because I don’t want her to hear me sound professional and use big words.  She just won’t understand what I’m saying. In addition, it sort of gives me the feeling of becoming an actual adult when I do try to use big words with her.  Another reason is that my mother always has something to say and if I ever read something professional like a speech I just don’t know what she’s going to say. Overall I agree with this quote.

Quote 2:  “But I do think the English spoken in the family, especially in immigrant families which are more insular and play a large role in shaping the language of the child. And I believe it affected my results on the achievements test, I.Q. tests, and the SAT.” -Page 2

I do agree with this quote. I believe if your family already knows how to speak English it will be a lot easier for the child to learn English. Learning big words will start to come naturally and used properly. On the other hand, if you have family that doesn’t already know how to speak English, it would be a lot harder for the child to learn English because the only way can be either in school or watching t.v or listening to other people outside of your family speak English.

Quote 3: 

“But I have noticed in surveys – in fact, just ask week – that Asian students, as a whole, always do significantly better on math achievements test than in English. And this makes me think that there are other Asian-American students whose English spoken in the home might be described as broken or limited.” -Page 3

I sort of agree with this quote. For me, I speak English at home but the rest of my family don’t speak English or at least don’t speak it at home. I can now see why I always do better in math than English class. In addition, some of my friends that I know that don’t speak English at home do better in math and are going towards engineering as a major, and my friends that do speak English at home do better in English class than math class.

Quote 4:

“Like others, I have described it to people as “broken or fractured” English”. Page 2

Many people describe English that isn’t spoken well as “Broken” English including me and my family. I also heard people telling my mom that she speaking broken English and at first I didn’t know what it meant but I later started to pick up on what it meant.