As someone who grew up for almost twelve years in a different country, and now has been in the United States for almost five years, I technically had six ways to speak, three in Arabic and three in English. I only use one way of Arabic now, so that makes it four ways in which I can speak. I split these ways into three sections for each language. First is my formal language; it is how I speak to my teacher and people in formal situations. Second is my casual language, the language I speak to my close friends. Finally, parents language, when speaking to my parents or in the house in general, I usually speak Arabic or English to my dad. Even though I am predominantly speaking English, I change my tone and the words I use based on the different situations I am in. For example, if I were talking to my friends about a game, I would use words that include slang, and even my tone would be different. On the other hand, if I were to speak to my parents about that same game, I would use more formal words and articulate them more clearly. This, however, should not be seen as an inferior feat. I think that having the ability to speak in different tones and aspects could be very useful and even teach us new skills or further develop our present ones. That’s why when Lyiscott said:

“That’s why I put “tri-lingual” on my last job application

I can help to diversify your consumer market” -Amila Lyiscott

I agreed with her. Being able to speak in diverse can help us adapt to changes better and faster. It can help us expand our social network, and it allows us to feel comfortable in the environment we are in, while also sounding natural.