Self-Reflection

Over the course of one year, I completed my Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing. When I started out in the Fall of 2013, I didn’t realize that I would grow so much as both a professional and as a human being. It was not easy completing the program in one year. Often times, I felt swamped and overwhelmed with assignments, papers, and projects. Dealing with major changes in my personal life and the workload from school was difficult at times. As clichĂ© as it may sound, it really is true that if you are doing what you love, it seldom feels like work. Nursing is my calling and my passion; so although this program was stressful, it was a good, fulfilling kind of stress… and I made it through.

As you explore the academics section of my site, you will see some of my favorite courses highlighted, which you may browse through freely. These courses, along with others, have enlightened me and made me more aware of issues in nursing and in public health. I was particularly taken aback by several issues discussed in Urban Health Issues, such as climate change and the rates of incarceration in the United States. We don’t usually think of nurses as professionals who would be concerned with such topics, but that’s the beauty of nursing. Nurses are a part of the greater public health umbrella and we play an essential role in promoting society’s safety. There is nursing beyond a hospital’s walls—this was a major breakthrough for me in this program. Many of us graduated from our Associate degree programs with the goal of obtaining a hospital, staff nurse position, but there are several other paths for nurses to take. Working with the community and in transitional housing during my clinical rotations made me feel like I was a part of something so significant—I was reaching people who normally either don’t have access to healthcare or do not understand/aren’t aware of the available resources.

As I stated on my introductory page, I continued my education as soon as I graduated from BMCC. The BSN program at City Tech developed my independence as a health care professional. These clinical rotations were my first opportunity to function as an independent, autonomous registered nurse, especially during my Community Access rotation. I successfully tackled potentially dangerous altercations with patients or residents and de-escalated the situation on several occasions. I was a part of multidisciplinary meetings and was able to participate independently. I acted as a leader as I facilitated health behavior change groups.

Overall, I feel like I have experienced so much growth in this program. My empathy for those in need and the drive to help has increased. My professionalism has been further developed. I am stronger now than I was before, but not hardened. I have gained more knowledge and more compassion. I am ready and prepared to be the best registered nurse that I can be.

I hope to continue my education within the City University of New York (CUNY) family and acquire my Master of Science degree in Hunter-Bellevue School of Nursing’s Gerontological/Adult Nurse Practitioner Program.

Update (February 2015): I have begun working as a private-duty registered nurse at Family Pediatric Homecare/Tri-borough Home Care. This is a home care agency that caters to pediatric patients requiring skilled nursing.