Internships

Community Access
Nurse Intern

September 2014 to December 2014

Objective: Motivate mentally ill and/or formerly homeless residents in transitional housing to make health behavior changes, particularly tobacco use/smoking.

Tasks: Proctor groups about several relevant health issues.

Community Service: The Good Neighbor Walk, October 25, 2014

On October 25th, 2014, I joined the East Broadways Braves and participated in the Good Neighbor Walk. The Good Neighbor Walk is held by a nonprofit organization called Community Access. Community Access provides transitional and permanent housing for formerly homeless and largely mentally ill people. They also aid veterans and young people who are aging out of foster care. Community Access helps these people transition from shelters, hospitals, and other institutions to independent living. In addition to providing housing, Community Access provides employment opportunities, educational programs, and professional support services for these vulnerable people. Another major objective of Community Access is to reduce the stigma associated with mental illness and homelessness. I learned about this advocacy walk through my clinical rotation at Community Access’ East Broadway Housing Complex.

The Good Neighbor Walk is a fundraising event that aims to shed light on mental illness/psychiatric disorders and to raise funds towards the aforementioned programs (housing, support services, etc). Registration for the walk was $40; and upon registering, my very own webpage was created for fundraising purposes. I advertised the walk online via my social network pages.

Check-in for walkers took place at 2 Washington Street, New York, NY between 9 AM and 10 AM. At around 11 AM, the three-mile walk began at Battery Park. This event was open to people of all ages. Some individuals living with mental illness were also present. Two residents from our clinical rotation joined the East Broadway Braves and participated in the walk as well. After the walk was completed, the Good Neighbor Party took place, where children enjoyed face-painting, a Halloween costume competition, music, refreshments, and games. Overall, the walk garnered over $50,000 in donations. It was a success. Apart from the fundraising, it was just an exceptional opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life who are recovering from acute mental illness and their loved ones. Seeing how organizations such as Community Access helped them re-assimilate into society and get back on their feet was touching. The shared sentiment was that if it weren’t for Community Access, many of them would be lost and alone. The Good Neighbor Walk was a great opportunity for nursing advocacy, which does not end in the hospital. Advocacy is defined by Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary as “the act or process of support a cause or proposal.” It is essentially using your voice or actions to influence a positive change. Registered nurses commonly advocate for their patients, but they can also advocate for their colleagues, communities, specific populations, and even themselves. Participating in this advocacy event for the mentally ill was very fulfilling and I indeed felt like a good neighbor.